Thread: 2020.1: Command line only (no XFCE) after installation and boot-up.

2020.1: Command line only (no XFCE) after installation and boot-up.

Hi Folks,

I'm new to Kali (just an old version on this laptop), and haven't done Linux for awhile. I installed Kali 2020.1 single boot 32-bit on a small Dell 910 netbook. It got through the install (needing b43 wifi sw), but I think it had trouble finding an apt mirror via a hard-wired ethernet internet connection. After installation, it starts up to the command line -- no graphical XFCE. I can ping sites on the internet, so I think my wired connection is functional (but it is a T-mobile link with crappy 700ms+ ping time).

Maybe some software from the internet did not get installed due to the mirror problem? How can I recover from this, and get XFCE running?

Thanks, Reed

It?s really frustrating that i need connection to install kali , my huwawei laptop doesn?t have ethernet port and the installation doesn?t provide wireless connection + my wireless device is not recognized by linux

It?s a reaaaal mess

Hope they fix this Major issue

If you are able to login via commandline, that is already a good indication. Perhaps it's just your display-manager not being able to start up. Possibly due to missing X drivers like video card, input driver. You can check on that by reading the log at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Or even it might not have been enabled at all which you can check by issuing:

systemctl status display-manager

Giving Up on This One

I've tried a number of things so solve this problem, without success, so I'm giving up. Will wait a few months and try again. Hopefully, the installation procedure will be tidied up by then.

... Reed

Quote Originally Posted by reed View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm new to Kali (just an old version on this laptop), and haven't done Linux for awhile. I installed Kali 2020.1 single boot 32-bit on a small Dell 910 netbook. It got through the install (needing b43 wifi sw), but I think it had trouble finding an apt mirror via a hard-wired ethernet internet connection. After installation, it starts up to the command line -- no graphical XFCE. I can ping sites on the internet, so I think my wired connection is functional (but it is a T-mobile link with crappy 700ms+ ping time).

Maybe some software from the internet did not get installed due to the mirror problem? How can I recover from this, and get XFCE running?

Thanks, Reed

Live weekly build W06 onward works ok.
    Offline Installer still needs Internet connection for flawless installation. Otherwise, it will fail
    during APT configuration. If you try to continue and ignore mirror, then it will fail during "Select and Install Software" phase.
    Issue is with some APT-related packages are missing. Tested this on latest weekly build W07 also.

Overall, both Live and Offline installers ISOs need to be freshly build with proper meaningful logical steps for flaw-less install experience.

Agree with your entire post.

Quote Originally Posted by pradpat View Post
    Live weekly build W06 onward works ok.
    Offline Installer still needs Internet connection for flawless installation. Otherwise, it will fail
    during APT configuration. If you try to continue and ignore mirror, then it will fail during "Select and Install Software" phase.
    Issue is with some APT-related packages are missing. Tested this on latest weekly build W07 also.

Overall, both Live and Offline installers ISOs need to be freshly build with proper meaningful logical steps for flaw-less install experience.

Yea I can not get it to work regardless of the version I use. Live works great on usb stick, but it can not get a good install. Im hoping it will be fixed soon, I am starting a new session of courses and need it to be working lol