Thread: Kali UI went weird, missing close/minimize/maximize, shown only 1 workplace but in settings its 2

Post Kali UI went weird, missing close/minimize/maximize, shown only 1 workplace but in settings its 2

im using latest version of kali, installed Jan 2020, im using as my second os beside windows (dual boots). it started when im switching to my non root user acc.. when i change back to root(default) user acc, it started to happen.. Kali UI went weird, missing close/minimize/maximize, shown only 1 workplace(only 1 workplace tab in the panel) but in settings its 2, missing wallpaper, missing desktop icon, right click disabled in certain windows, its like 90% depends on keyboard shortcuts.. sometimes when i keep changing to the non-root user and back to root, it fixed. but most of times its not, and currently its still occurring in my kali. Then, ive added a new root user acc, and it still didnt fixed it.. This only happen to the default root user.. all my self-created user acc are no affected and works as normal perfectly, but most of my 1 month works is there.. Latest problem, network adapter are not functioning, it only shows "no ethernet" at the icon. Ive been using my laptop default network adaper(it happens to have monitor mode and ive been using it works perfectly). Now it seem like it doesnt detect my network adapter even ive run "iwconfig" "ifconfig...up" "systemctl start NetworkManager" it still didnt work for all user acc. when i tab to autocomplete "systemctl start NetworkManager", it happens to be "NetworkManager-dispatch..........". Before this problem happens it only autocomplete to "NetworkManager". anyone know how to fix this? or i need to reinstall kali?

Did you solve the errors ? Almost currently I'm facing everything u faced..

i have the same problem too, already try switch to kali-desktop-gnome but no luck

Open a terminal and enter

xfwm4

then press enter. This should restart your window manager and recover your buttons.

This One Works! Thanks!

This one works! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aldrin View Post
    open a terminal and enter

xfwm4

then press enter. This should restart your window manager and recover your buttons.

I got the same problem after restarting

Quote Originally Posted by aldrin View Post
    Open a terminal and enter

xfwm4

Thanks for that solution but I got the same problem after restarting.

may i resolve this problem Permanently?

I've just faced the same thing. Window manager is gone.
    Moreover, I have two accounts - mine and a second one. The second one works without problems.
    Mine is without Window Manager.

Kali has so many bugs... awful.

Restarting windows manager worked, but why did it happen ?

While there is no WM using desktop is so hard... some windows cannot be closed (thunar, which is not listed under PS command - so there is no process but it is active on my desktop without any title bar..).

ehh...
    I can send You my logs, maybe we can check this out. What do You thing guys ?

Thank you very much it worked for me !!!

Red face Work For Me Bro

[QUOTE=Trashertravis;96177]This one works! Thanks[You save my time bro." This is so helpful. I appreciate you]

To make it remain that way when you restart your system or after a shutdown simply replace the xfce4 deamon using the command.

xfsettingsd --replace

this should take care of the the issue rather than using xfwm4 all the time.

I just posted about the same issue. I have re-installed kali 2021.1 so far 5 times but the same keeps on happening after upgrade.
    Now i resorted to win-kex, after upgrade, boom, the same issue.