Thread: Error with installing Kali Linux 2020.1 on VMware

Question Error with installing Kali Linux 2020.1 on VMware

I'm trying to install Kali Linux 2020.1 on VMware and got an error "An installation step failed. The failing step is: Select and install software". Is it necessary to install this step or can i skip it? Any advice, thanks!

There is bug in offline installer (including latest W07 release). Some packages are missing which causing installation failed during APT configuration phase. This happens only when you are trying to install Kali with NO Internet. However, if you are connected to Internet during Installation, Kali will download missing packages during APT configuration phase. Also, Kali needs connected to mirror site for fail-safe installation. So, this offline installer is actually not a offline installer.

I have received this same error while I had internet access setup in virtualbox l.The error happens after the packages have been downloaded but during the unpacking portion of the select and install software section of the installer. I did not experience this error when installing to a real system.

Same error

Quote Originally Posted by Light11331 View Post
    I have received this same error while I had internet access setup in virtualbox l.The error happens after the packages have been downloaded but during the unpacking portion of the select and install software section of the installer. I did not experience this error when installing to a real system.
    Same for me Kali Linux 2020.1 but on Hyper-V Manager. Anyone can help? Pretty sure internet connection was provided during installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Light11331 View Post
    I had the same error while installing Kali Linux 2020.1 on Hyper-V Manager. Anyone can help? The VM had an internet access during installation.

solution here

i got a solution here
    watch below
    https://www.***********************PZ-T6NDYv8o

Try installing with Gnome instead of the default GUI. (Uncheck it and check Gnome) finally installed for me on virtual box.
    This VM had network access, I resized the dynamic partition to 16G and still had failures. Unchecked xfce for the GUI and selected gnome... install went fine.

i ran sudo apt-get upgrade command in Kali-Linux-2020.1-vmware-amd64
    VMware workstation 15 player.
    It took nearly 2 hours of downloading.. after extracting the files. I am getting blank screen.. unable see the screen.. only.

Quote Originally Posted by xdstriker View Post
    I had the same error while installing Kali Linux 2020.1 on Hyper-V Manager. Anyone can help? The VM had an internet access during installation.
    Deselect all the option of tools installation other than the desktop environment and it should work fine. You can install the tools as and when required.

Skip the step "Select and install software" and perform next step which is GRUB installation.
    Once installation is complete, login to single user mode and run following commands.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kali-desktop-xfce
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kali-linux-default

I was having the same issue and here is the solution. Credit to hobbytech.info.

"If you are receiving this error, there could be a few causes, including no internet connection, bad install image, or most likely, your install drive is too small. Closeout of the running VM and go back to the machine settings. Increase the drive above 30GB. If you are using a dynamic size disk, make sure it too starts out of a default size above 30GB. The error is caused by the installer seeing that there is not enough free space to install the OS and erroring out.
    At the time of writing this, the default size for Kali 2020.2 alone with basic install options is 25GB, not including a swap partition."

Quote Originally Posted by azsg View Post
    Try installing with Gnome instead of the default GUI. (Uncheck it and check Gnome) finally installed for me on virtual box.
    This VM had network access, I resized the dynamic partition to 16G and still had failures. Unchecked xfce for the GUI and selected gnome... install went fine.
    Tried using Gnome, still didn't work

I've been struggling with this problem in VirtualBox for a while. I solved it by using the option Guided - use entire disk and set up LVM when partitioning the disk. I also selected Separate /home partition. I'm not sure which one worked or why, but it finally solved my problem after a long struggle with this.

just uncheck:
    default --recommended tools(available in the live system)
    xfce

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by pradpat View Post
    There is bug in offline installer (including latest W07 release). Some packages are missing which causing installation failed during APT configuration phase. This happens only when you are trying to install Kali with NO Internet. However, if you are connected to Internet during Installation, Kali will download missing packages during APT configuration phase. Also, Kali needs connected to mirror site for fail-safe installation. So, this offline installer is actually not a offline installer.
    its also not working, i'm using 200mbps data connection still got the same error and not even same i got 2 errors 'An installation step failed. The failing step is: Select and install software && The failing step is: install the GRUB Boot Loader'

now tell me what to do

monkeywrench is right

Quote Originally Posted by hikikomorinobaka View Post
    I'm trying to install Kali Linux 2020.1 on VMware and got an error "An installation step failed. The failing step is: Select and install software". Is it necessary to install this step or can i skip it? Any advice, thanks!
    Hello,

I think you should read again monkeywrench's answer. he's right
    the problem comes from the max size of the dynamic disk. mine was 8GB, and the standard install is 13GB.

You should create a new virtual disk, with minimum 15GB

Regards

Monkeywrench's fix worked for me.

robderon and monkeywrench's answer is right. Make sure you are on NAT and uncheck kali-desktop-live for the initial installation.