Thread: How to Install Kali on a USB drive - NOT Live USB or Persistence partition

How to Install Kali on a USB drive - NOT Live USB or Persistence partition

Hello Everyone; my question is not creating a Live USB drive or a persistence partition but creating a USB with GRUB bootloader and Kali which can be used on any machine. This is similar to running other linux OS directly from USB.

I am currently running Kali (In persistence) from a pen drive. Whenever i try to upgrade, it ends up with an error and my kali got crashed. Thanks in advance!

Hello dude,
    fast and quick. You need a CD-Image of Kali-Linux or an installation media on USB and a second USB-Device.
    If you installed an Linux distro before, you can treat a USB stick like any hard disk inside a computer, so just use the second stick to part it as an normal harddrive.
    If not, look for an installation guide for Linux and use it for this one, but use the second stick as installation target.
    If you now, don't know what to, don't use Kali for now. Try on Debian first. If you can to some task on command line, then you can try Kali.

Peace!

The problem is that the Kali installer seems to only offer the option to install GRUB to the computer's main drive -- not to the target USB stick.

The options are:

Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk

Or

Continue without boot loader.

I don't think I've encountered this with other Linux distros. Kali assumes that the target USB stick is like a second internal drive, or something.

Can one "continue without bootloader" and then install GRUB after the fact to the target USB flash drive? So that it's portable?