Today I decided to reinstall a dedicated machine with the latest version of Kali. That being said, I was prompted to install a regular user, as opposed to a root user, per the changes in the newest version. This machine I'm using has always had issue with the nouveau driver, and the fix has always been to install, then blacklist nouveau in order to log in then install the nvidia prop. drivers. I was completely unable to get to a tty, as well as boot into rescue maintenance mode.. I kept getting "Cannot open access to console. The root account is locked see sulogin(8) man page for more details."

Finally, I changed my boot parameter to init=/bin/bash, in order to get in initially.
The question I have is, is there a way to set a root password with the new install process? I was completely stuck in doing or accessing a terminal. I kept looping with nouveau and could not do any admin type tasks, as stated above via tty or rescue..

Or, is the boot parameter init=/bin/bash, the only way to get around this problem I had?