Thread: Ndiswrapper Not Supported with Aircrack-Ng Tools

Unhappy Ndiswrapper Not Supported with Aircrack-Ng Tools

Guys, I have got a weird problem.
    Installed Kali Linux 2020.1 arm image on my Rasberry PI 4 and got my wifi working fine. Both the internal Wifi broadcom onboard driver and my Alfa AWUS036ACH Adapter (USB) with RTL8812AU driver worked flawless using the aircrack-ng tools.

Now here comes the strange thing. After a week or so, I have the following error below:

Ndiswrapper doesn't support monitor mode
    when I put my wifi cards in monitor mode and start to use airodump-ng to capture my wifi traffic.

I have searched the web for possible solutions because I know that aircrack-ng tools do not support Ndiswrapper and it will never be supported. But the strange thing is that i did not install any ndiswrapper drivers in the first place , so I am really puzzled why I have suddenly this error. And the other strange thing is that both my wifi adapters (onboard and USB) are having the same problem.

I did some further investigation and I am getting it back to work if I first use kismet to monitor my wifi interface.

Quitting kismet leaves the wifi interface in monitor mode and then the aircrack-ng tools like airodump-ng are working fine for me.
    But if I start fresh after reboot with the traditional commands

Code:
    # airmon-ng check kill
    Code:
    # airmon-ng start wlan1
    Code:
    # airodump-ng --band abg wlan1
    then airodump-ng throws the warning "Ndiswrapper doesn't support monitor mode" and exits.

Checked the code snippet below in aircrack-ng/lib/osdep/linux.c checking for ndiswrapper and I would like to understand what is actually tested to determine that the driver is using ndiswrapper. My suspicion is that this test is not full proof on the ARM distribution.

PHP Code:
    // Check if the driver is ndiswrapper */
    static int is_ndiswrapper(const char  iface, const char  path)
    {
    int npid;
    if (!
    path || !iface || strlen(iface) >= IFNAMSIZ)
    {
    return 
    0;
    }
    if ((
    pid fork()) == 0)
    {
    close(0);
    close(1);
    close(2);
    IGNORE_NZ(chdir("/"));
    execl(path"iwpriv"iface"ndis_reset"NULL);
    exit(
    1);
    }

waitpid(pid, &n0);
    return ((
    WIFEXITED(n) && WEXITSTATUS(n) == 0));

Just wondering if somebody ran into a similar problem.
    My kali linux version is:

I can't reproduce this here; Although for me, the internal wifi card is wlan0 not wlan1.

I run airmon-ng start wlan0 which creates wlan0mon and then I run airodump-ng --band abg wlan0mon and everything shows as it is. What wireless devices are you using?

Unhappy

Steev,

I have two wifi adapters, one onboard which is a broadcom (wlan0).
    Code:
    root@kali:~# lspci
    00:00.0 PCI bridge: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries Device 2711 (rev 10)
    and I have a USB Wifi Adapter AWUSACH036 (wlan1)
    Code:
    root@kali:~# lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:8812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8812AU 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2T2R DB WLAN Adapter
    Both are behaving the same with the "ndiswrapper not supported" message if I try to capture the wifi traffic with airodump-ng.
    As mentioned before, both adapters are working fine with kismet in monitor mode and keep working with airodump-ng when I stop kismet.

Only with a fresh start, this issue pops up...
    I applied all the latest upgrades, but it did not help.
    Checked dmesg but not errors or warnings that might indicate a problem.

It is a weird problem, because there is nothing wrong with the drivers because kismet works fine.
    The ndiswrapper driver check in the aircrack-ng code might not be full proof in certain conditions.