Thread: Kali live usb w/ per. (Commands not found, no root, not network)

Kali live usb w/ per. (Commands not found, no root, not network)

I have created a bootable thumbdrive with kali. I've also created a partition for persistence. I am able to boot into kali with a user of "kali" instead of root. I am not able to use any if the commands that I use. I keep getting the "command not found" message. I've tried ifconfig fdisk and a few others. Another issue is that I have no network options. I'm suspecting that my nic isnt being recognized. I was able to use kali before without persistence with no problem before. I'm not sure how to fix it. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by lowcarb_ryebread View Post
    I have created a bootable thumbdrive with kali. I've also created a partition for persistence. I am able to boot into kali with a user of "kali" instead of root. I am not able to use any if the commands that I use. I keep getting the "command not found" message. I've tried ifconfig fdisk and a few others.

There are likely two different issues here. `ifconfig` doesn't exist in the core kali install anymore, it's been deprecated in favor of `ip`. So if you've for example created a live build from the "minimal" install, you won't find `ifconfig`. You need the "net-tools" package if you still want to use ifconfig.

The other possible issue has to do with the fact that kali now creates a non-root user by default. Since fdisk requires root to run, you need to use sudo:

Code:
    $ which fdisk
    $ sudo which fdisk
    /usr/sbin/fdisk

Quote Originally Posted by lowcarb_ryebread View Post
    Another issue is that I have no network options. I'm suspecting that my nic isnt being recognized. I was able to use kali before without persistence with no problem before. I'm not sure how to fix it. Any ideas?

The network is off by default. You can bring it up this way:

Code:
    $ ip a
    # find the relevant interface, e.g. enpXXX
    $ ip link set enpXXX up
    $ sudo dhclient enpXXX
    Last edited by buglab; 2020-03-03 at 15:10. Reason: Trying to fix the code blocks

Happens to me too, the fdisk I mean, already did what you said in the code, what can I do to make it work?

The "command not found" happens to me too, have tried what you said in the code but still don't know what to do

any command found in /usr/sbin now must be run with sudo, if you just want to avoid having to type sudo for every command on that terminal session, just do sudo su to switch to root (which obviously be careful what you do)