Thread: Kali 2020.1 anyone actually have it installing properly?

Kali 2020.1 anyone actually have it installing properly?

I am surprised by the lack of info regarding this thoroughly jacked-up release. There should probably be a sticky topic put in place.

Does anyone have it installing properly? No matter which image I try, always get the "Installation Failed" message. I have tried on multiple systems, including a bulletproof Thinkpad that I always use for my field work.

I even went back and installed 2019.4, which installs with no problems, but the full upgrade breaks with a bunch of "File has unexpected size..." errors. Is the mirror the problem? If so, which mirror are people using?

As a last ditch effort, I tried the weekly, but it crapped out as well.

I understand that there are some systems (or VMs) on which 2020.1 installs without issues, but for the vast majority, it does not. Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't been able to install Kali 2020.1 either. First I tried using Rufus and it will boot into Live from USB but choosing Install from the boot menu always ends up with "Installation media not found" error.

I have attempted to use Balena Etcher for burning the ISO to USB but neither the portable or installer versions work at all. I can't even create the USB with that program. I've also attempted to use YUMI but the multiboot format of that program doesn't seem to be compatible with Kali even though they have it in the OS list.

Maybe I'll have to go back and install 2019.4 because this is getting frustrating.

Hello I have difficulties running Kali Linux 2020.1a. In m case I can use my mouse and keyboard when after the boot. The screen to login appears but I can't move the cursor to write the username and password, also the keyboard doesn't work. I have tried even different mouse and keyboard but same story. Only one time before sometime it worked and started but after I rebooted it the same story. I found from a web the 2019.2 version but not the official from offensive security, but it looks to have some bugs and I am not satisfied. This is not related with your question, but I read that you have used 2019.4 version. If you have the older versions, can you provide them here by uploading or sending to me because I can't find anywere the older versions. I have used before the version 2019.3 that was working pretty fine, and would like also 2019.4. If you have 2019.3 and 2019.4 can you provide?

I am using Raspberry Pi 4b. Meaning ARM image, relaed with previous post

Using the offline installer? Try installing with Gnome instead of the default GUI.

I agree with you!!
    I have tried it on VMware and VirtualBox, to just install the ISO. No luck. Crash out on the software install part. Tried no network install (offline), No Go.
    I have used the VirtualBox image and it has problems of it's own.

I just recently installed a VMware (Workstation 15 Pro) VM using the Kali 2020.1b "Kali Linux 64-Bit (Installer)" first link on their downloads page and it installed perfectly fine with no issues. I'm on a desktop host running Win 10. Perhaps your issues are driver-related and/or they've fixed those problems between release 1a and 1b? Try the newest download.

I had problems as well. I have a Windows 10 and I found out that using the ova is best. No issues after importing everything from ova. Once I imported everything, there were 2 "Kali Linux" on my VirtualBox. I removed the Kali Linux that I had previously installed, leaving the imported ova on my VB.

Important thing: when you remove the first Kali Linux from your VB, just click 'remove only', do not click 'delete files', otherwise you will have to reinstall it again, like what I had to do.

Final lines trying to install using Vbox 64 bit (OVI) from kali.org and it always comes up with the line of error :

E_FAIL (0x80004005)
    MachineWrap

final part of the log on instaling .... can anyone help me with this ?

81cc.8560: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: returns rcNt=0x0 hMod=00007ff8c4820000 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\midimap.dll'
    81cc.858c: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cache hit (VINF_SUCCESS) on \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\MMDevAPI. dll [lacks WinVerifyTrust]
    81cc.858c: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: pName=C:\WINDOWS\System32\MMDevApi.dll (rcNtResolve=0xc0150008) *pfFlags=0x0 pwszSearchPath=0000000000002009:<flags> [calling]
    81cc.858c: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: returns rcNt=0x0 hMod=00007ff8d6d20000 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\MMDevApi.dll'
    849c.84cc: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x1 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 26777 ms, the end);

Im not a linux person by any means...but i did get it installed buy using expert install and loaded to an external hdd. It was working ok for about a day. Then it would lock up. Id reboot and then it would lock up a couple mins after. So then I tried to do the reinstall again and kept getting errors. I gave up on it. Gave me an error about no enough space. Its a 3tb hhd.

I came on here to ask the same question. I flashed Kali-Linux 2020.1 onto the microSD and have the pi connected to a HDMI monitor. When I plug in the microSD via USB into the pi nothing happens... Did anyone figure it out yet?

use rufus that supports dd image or go in to a live session and use dd command from there

Partitioning disks error

Hello everyone,

During my 2020.1a installation of Kali Linux x64, everything seems to go perfectly until I come across "Partitioning Disks" section of the installation.

Firstly there are 3 primary partitions and no logical. secondly, when I manually make partitions it keeps giving me the input/output error. Thirdly, after doing the automatic partition I've started getting a new error. Which states "the EFI file system creation in partition 1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed.

I'm trying to make this work. My PC doesn't have any other OS currently installed. But, previously it did have Windows. My PC is also GPT-UEFI.

My question is how do I possibly make it work. Once I made it work and the base installation kept failing.

Reply would be appreciated.

Thanks

I am here to share my frustration too with Kali 2020.x

- ISO installation on Proxmox and Virtualbox: fails installation for many different reasons and the furthest I got was to finish it only for VM to freeze just before login
    - OVA on VirtualBox: Many different errors, latest one being "Hash Sum mismatch" on apt update && apt -y full-upgrade

Even tho I have not share my specs nor config files I can guarantee you my HW setup and SW configurations are good, it?s the first time I have run into so many issues and I have been using Kali on the same environments till today

Hey everybody,

I've been wrestling with this release on a Pi 4 all week, finally got mouse and keyboard working by reinstalling the input drivers via SSH.

From the looks of this thread you're all having different issues, so this might not be for everyone:
    --reinstall xserver-xorg-input-all

i had this issue as well, start afresh, make sure you are using intel software not amd version. I downloaded the latest vm box and and import linux 2020-2vbox-i386.ova file and it started to load.
    got a little further in the installation today compared to all week, but got new problems again.
    i have not a clue about doing this so im in the dark with it, just giving it a try out, make sure vt-x is enabled in the bios of the computer. I made the mistake at first of downloading amd files to realise its an intel pentium in my laptop.
    its trial and error really, dont give up, try something else, uninstall virtualbox and reinstall, something will work for you..