Thread: Need help transitioning to root

Need help transitioning to root

I know now kali defaults to kali user when u download but Im trying to figure out how to gain root access

all you have to do is in terminal type sudo su
    it will then ask for your default users password then you will be root and once you are in root you can type passwd to change the root password to something you like and now when you want to change to root you just type su and then enter the password you created once asked and you are root again..... now you can also add your default user to the trusted group so you can do passwordless privlege escalation... so in other words after you add the default user to the trusted group you can type sudo with what ever command and it will not ask for a password instead it will just execute it... Now what I would like to know is how to log in as root... I liked being root on the older kali system.. I realize it isn't really secure to have root as the default but I liked it better becuase I didn't have to escalate priveleges but it also made me very aware of what I was doing becuase I knew one false move and I would screw everything up..... so If you learn of anyway to log in as root on the new kali linux 2020.1b I would appreciate you pointing me in the direction of that information.... as for adding your default user to the trusted group here are the instructions for you to follow

first you need to make sure you installed have kali-grant-root installed if not then type in terminal apt-get install kali-grant-root
    once you know you have that installed then type sudo dpkg-reconfigure kali-grant-root it will then open a configuration window that will ask if you would like the default user added to the trusted group...you chose yes and now when you run the sudo command it doesn't require a password... the only time you will need a password is when you decide to switch to root.... I hope I helped you out good luck

Thank you man, got it working now.