Thread: Update Android and keep Nethunter?

Update Android and keep Nethunter?

Hi, I have a Nexus 5X with Kali Nethunter. I'm on Android 8.1. Can I upgrade to Android 9 or 10 and keep my Nethunter installation? I don't want to have to do it again. I'm using Magisk and I think it says I can update my phone. It stopped at 8.1. So can I upgrade? And not lose anything? TWRP Android 9 or 10?

I’m not 100% certain, but probably not. Depending on what version of NetHunter you’re using, you might have a button to backup your chroot. If no button, there is a way to do it manually.

if you're wanting to update your version of Android, check out LineageOS. It is basically the a newer version of what used to be called cyanogenmod. The original cyanogenmod developer gave up on that project, but someone else started it up again, under the name LineageOS. You can then update your Android version with LineageOS, if it is available for your model, optionally install G.Apps, and install Magisk. Then setup your phone and install NetHunter. There may be some things to re-setup, but it is not hard.

I’d have to double-check, but I believe if you compile your own NetHunter from Git, you can include your backed-up Kali Chroot, and use it instead of the stock default.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I think I will keep Android 8.1 Oreo. I had a lot of trouble getting Nethunter on and don't want to do it again. I'll read about LineageOS and make a decision then. I'll report back. Thanks