Thread: Lost monitor mode on Nexus 5 after installing 2020.1

Lost monitor mode on Nexus 5 after installing 2020.1

I had an older version of Nethunter on my Nexus 5, maybe 2017. Besside worked fine with internal Wifi. After upgrading to 2020.1, it's no longer working. Source monstart-nh now gives a 'No such file or directory'. I've also tried the 'Wlan1 Monitor Mode' custom command, but gets an error, no such device for wlan1. Have things changed?

Are you sure it's the 2017 version of Nethunter?

Does the latest Nethunter still include Nexmon drivers? Or do I need the 2017 Binkybear build?

It should, we haven't changed the kernel package for it. Let me doublecheck though

Thanks for checking!

Despite installing the latest Nethunter multiple times, I haven't found evidence of Nexmon. Does the latest Nethunter instead work with the new Nexmon app available on the new Nethunter app store?

[ATTACH]3951[/ATTACH

To fix problems with wifi adapters using atheros chipset, Download my linked file. Unzip it. The use ADB to push htc.9271.fw over to root/system/etc/firmware. You'll be replacing the file that is already there. You can also just download this file here directly to your phone and then use twrp to move it to the proper location root/system/etc/firmware. You can also do it from the androids terminal but then you'd need to use modprobe to recall it or just reboot the system. At this point, you won't see wlan1 in ifconfig but you can use the Nethunter app under Custom Commands, to Run Start Wlan1 Monitor Mode. Then everything else will work.
    See also, https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/nethunt...note_323054792
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the response, but this is about internal wifi, not an external adapter.

I've just finished new kernels for:

Nexus 5 (Marshmallow)
    Nexus 5 (LOS 14.1)

with working Nexmon

We'll include two new images with those kernels in the 2020.2 release. Keen to get your hands on that a bit sooner?

Yes!!!!!!!

On its way.
    How about a little teaser while the image is uploading

Hammerhead-stable-HID.jpg
    Hammerhead-stable-kalilibnexmon.so-in-action.jpg

Also, while I don't want to get too OT, I have a question about your kernel for 'Atom Tablets' on your website. The link goes to the kali-pocket. Will that image work on most Atom tablets? Or was it a separate image?
    Thanks!

Should work for all Atom tablets

Took a while to upload but here it is:

https://build.nethunter.com/contribu...on/hammerhead/

Forgot to ask: You are running Nougat, right?

Just copy the nexmon firmware across and you're all set.
    We've got copies here if you need them:

https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/nethunter/build-scripts/kali-nethunter-devices/-/tree/master/nougat/hammerhead/nexmon-fw

It's using a new library called "kalinexmon.so" that should work better.

Just run
    Code:
    . monstart-nh
    to start and
    Code:
    . monstop-nh
    to stop. You know the drill.
    Enjoy and please let me know how you go

Thanks! I'm installing now. What do I do with the Nexmon firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by re4son View Post
    I've just finished new kernels for:

Nexus 5 (Marshmallow)
    Nexus 5 (LOS 14.1)

with working Nexmon

We'll include two new images with those kernels in the 2020.2 release. Keen to get your hands on that a bit sooner?
    Nexmon seems to work with the Hijacker tool from the net hunter store but that?s about it.

OK, I installed, renamed fw_bcmdhd.bin.nexmon to fw_bcmdhd.bin, and put it in /etc/firmware. I no longer get an error when running monstart-nh, but it's not going in to monitor mode.

EDIT: I tried 'source monstart-nh', and I got a little farther. running Wifite or Besside recognizes a device in monitor mode, but it's deaf, it never sees any nearby AP's.

Oh yeah, don't forget the ". " dot in front of "monstart-nh"
    I noticed the nexmon performance wasn't as good as on the Nexus 6P but thought it was a hardware thing. Did it work better for you before the upgrade?

With the dot, I get 'Command not found'.

dot space.
    "source" is a synonym for "." in bash. Less typing using "."

Took a while to upload but here it is:

https://build.nethunter.com/contribu...on/hammerhead/

Forgot to ask: You are running Nougat, right?
    This download keeps failing just seconds before it finishes downloading. Can you try re-uploading it?

Thanks for the info, I learn something new every day

When I do . monstart-nh, I get:
    _nex_driver_io: error

EDIT: I rebooted, and it didn't give the error. However, Wifi looks blind. When running Wifite or Besside, it never finds any Access Points.

Did I rename and place the nethunter firmware file properly?

Works fine for us. Maybe the build server is getting hammered at the moment. Maybe just wait a bit and use "wget -c" to resume the previous download.
    Me uploading again wouldn't make any difference to you not being able to downloading it.

Code:
    That usually happens when the if is down

Works fine for us. Maybe the build server is getting hammered at the moment. Maybe just wait a bit and use "wget -c" to resume the previous download.
    Me uploading again wouldn't make any difference to you not being able to downloading it.
    Thank you, wget -c worked

Quote Originally Posted by RChadwick View Post

EDIT: I rebooted, and it didn't give the error. However, Wifi looks blind. When running Wifite or Besside, it never finds any Access Points.

Wifi doesn't work.

you need to patch your wifi firmware by using nexmon: https://github.com/seemoo-lab/nexmon...eg-ubuntu-1604

Thanks for the clues. I run linux in a VM, and didn't feel like figuring out how to connect the phone, so I looked through the code and duplicated the ADB commands, and finally got it installed. It works! One issue I see so far. It's likely not related to Nexmon, but in a terminal, I can't get Ctrl-C to work.

The firmware I linked to is already the patched version.

Copy "fw_bcmdhd.bin.nexmon" to "fw_bcmdhd.bin" to use the patched version or "fw_bcmdhd.bin.original" to "fw_bcmdhd.bin" to go back to stock

That's basically what I did. I couldn't copy it directly, so I used the ADB commands from the makefile. I still haven't figured out the CTRL-C issue.
    Also, I haven't tested it thorough enough to say definitively, but Wifi seems worse than other versions I've tried. I'm unable to use Wifi connected to an AP at the same time as using injection and monitor. It does seem to work for 30 seconds or so, but not after that. The Wifi symbol on the upper right of the screen keeps disappearing and reappearing while using monitor/injection, and Wifite does not seem as effective. For instance, getting a handshake on my home router, a few feet away, took 4 or 5 minutes.
    You mentioned a 6P earlier, which I also have, but it has the BLOD issue where I need a special TWRP and boot.bin to only use 4 cores to keep the phone from rebooting. Will 2020.3 work on this phone? Will it be available soon?

Will 2020.3 work on this phone? Will it be available soon?
    A BLOD version of the nethunter kernel?
    Not sure if it already supports 4 cores or if I have to patch it. I'll look into it - or do you have any idea?

That's basically what I did. I couldn't copy it directly, so I used the ADB commands from the makefile.
    Didn't it work in TWRP? That's how I copied it across.
    We could come up with a simple script to remount system as rw and download the firmware from our repository. All in a running system using the nethunter terminal. What do you think?

TWRP makes sense. Too much on my mind, I didn't think to try it. A script might make things more convenient, especially if there's frequent updates, but it should be easy enough with TWRP.
    Last edited by RChadwick; 2020-04-19 at 06:48.

After using it for a number of days, I'm sad to report there's issues. I was trying to narrow it down, but not being able to ctrl-c makes it more difficult. After days of trying I was only able to capture two handshakes, to AP's a few feet away. I was able to see many AP's, but unable to get handshakes. I'm not sure if it fails to deauth, fails to sniff the handshake, or something else.

I use Hacker's Keyboard to get Ctrl + C support.

Does it make a difference if you preload kalilibfakeioctl.so instead of kalilibnexmon.so?

I've tried all day to get this working and I've been unsuccessful so far. I managed to find a Lineage OS Nougat ROM for Nexus 5, I have the Nexmon firmware copied into the correct place, I have root, chroot and the nethunter 2020.3 you linked above and I can't get monitor mode to work.

On my most recent effort I have finally got the ". monstart-nh" and ". monstop-nh" commands to work insomuch as they are accepted by the terminal, but it doesn't appear to actually be enabling monitor mode. Previously I couldn't even get the command to be recognised so I suppose that's progress at least.

After starting monitor mode and trying wifite, it can't see any interfaces in monitor mode. Am I forgetting something crucial and obvious here?

Quote Originally Posted by 2fst4u View Post
    I've tried all day to get this working and I've been unsuccessful so far. I managed to find a Lineage OS Nougat ROM for Nexus 5, I have the Nexmon firmware copied into the correct place, I have root, chroot and the nethunter 2020.3 you linked above and I can't get monitor mode to work.

On my most recent effort I have finally got the ". monstart-nh" and ". monstop-nh" commands to work insomuch as they are accepted by the terminal, but it doesn't appear to actually be enabling monitor mode. Previously I couldn't even get the command to be recognised so I suppose that's progress at least.

After starting monitor mode and trying wifite, it can't see any interfaces in monitor mode. Am I forgetting something crucial and obvious here?
    sir firstly patch your wifi firmware using nexmon: https://github.com/seemoo-lab/nexmon...ster/README.md
    nexus 5 uses bcm4339 so patch for version 6_37_34_43 .
    after patch ( make install-firmware )

in your chroot, press:

. monstart-nh # " . " means " source "

and then, press:

aireplay-ng -9 wlan0

and type the output here.

Quote Originally Posted by rootboy01 View Post
    sir firstly patch your wifi firmware using nexmon: https://github.com/seemoo-lab/nexmon...ster/README.md
    nexus 5 uses bcm4339 so patch for version 6_37_34_43 .
    after patch ( make install-firmware )

in your chroot, press:

. monstart-nh # " . " means " source "

and then, press:

aireplay-ng -9 wlan0

and type the output here.
    I've patched the firmware. I can't do it using Nexmon because the app crashes and I see other people have reported the same error. I have manually copied it into the correct directory.

When you say "in your chroot" do you mean in the Kali terminal? If so:

root@kali:/# . monstart-nh #
    root@kali:/# aireplay-ng -9 wlan0
    20:29:26 Trying broadcast probe requests...
    20:29:28 No Answer...
    20:29:28 Found 2 APs

20:29:28 Trying directed probe requests...
    20:29:28 D8:0D:17:10:63:49 - channel: 36 - 'SSID ommited'
    20:29:34 0/30: 0%

20:29:35 887:F6:81:A4:24 - channel: 40 - 'ASUS_5G'
    20:29:42 0/30: 0%

aireplay output says, injections not working. So remaining you need to nexmon libs for kali chroot.
    forget about nexmon app.
    which link do you download nethunter installer ?
    i suggest you; build it from: https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/nethunter/build-scripts/kali-nethunter-project

so:

1) git clone https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/nethunter/build-scripts/kali-nethunter-project

2) cd nethunter-installer

3) ./bootstrap.sh ( downloads devices lists)

4) read this: https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/nethunter/build-scripts/kali-nethunter-project/-/tree/master/nethunter-installer#build-command-examples

Quote Originally Posted by rootboy01 View Post
    aireplay output says, injections not working. So remaining you need to nexmon libs for kali chroot.
    forget about nexmon app.
    which link do you download nethunter installer ?
    i suggest you; build it from: https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/nethunt...hunter-project

so:

1) git clone https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/nethunt...hunter-project

2) cd nethunter-installer

3) ./bootstrap.sh ( downloads devices lists)

4) read this: https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/nethunt...mmand-examples
    Re4son's build here: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...3355#post93355

I've never built nethunter myself, I don't feel comfortable with that sort of thing. Why do you say to ignore Nexmon? Don't I need it or tthe firmware in order to get this to work?

i prefer minimal chroot.
    you can install desktop env by using:

1) apt-get update
    2) apt-get install kali-linux-nethunter
    3) apt-get install kali-desktop-core