Thread: eth0 missing on Dell XPS 13

eth0 missing on Dell XPS 13

Hi Forum,

Some assistance would be much appreciated here please. I was using the eth0 adaptor yesterday just fine on my dell xps13 via the USB C docker.

I didn't need to do anything to configure it it was just there, working. I was kinda surprised to see it actually as I had never seen it before and just assumed it would be too much trouble to get working so was just using WLAN instead.

So I needed to test something with WLAN only (no eth0) so I ran an ifconfig eth0 down. Fine.

This morning I come back to it and there is still no eth0.

I have tried ifconfig eth0 up but I get "No such device"
    lspci shows me only one network controller which is the wireless although I can see the Thunderbotl3 bridge which is probably the docking station.

I would really like to be able to use the docker for wired LAN. Any suggestions on how one might bring back eth0 in my situation?

Bit strange that it just appeared one day with no config on my side. I am guessing that whatever caused it to just appear like that has random caused it to vanish again.

nb I have done all of the obvious stuff like fully power down the laptop, fully power down the docker etc etc
    Its the Dell Thunderbolt TB16 docking station.

3. Either open a terminal as root or sudo open one and type : nmtui

nmtui is the ncurses tool for the network-manager. For me, it is the easiest way to deal with my various networking interfaces.