Thread: Problem with AWUS1900 VirtualBox and kali linux2020

Unhappy Problem with AWUS1900 VirtualBox and kali linux2020

Hello there,

I just buy an awus 1900 and i got some problem to install it.
    I follow some guide from many website to install it but after install i can't see any ssid. I can see correctly many different ssid when the awus1900 run directly on my windows OS.
    So i did this for install awus1900 driver :

sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade -y

sudo apt install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms

After i tryed

sudo ip link set wlan0 down
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
    sudo ip link set wlan0 up

Also runned this script

https://github.com/OscarAkaElvis/air..._chipset_fixer

After all that i still can't use my wifi card on Kali linux.

My setup :
    A windows 10 with VirtualBox Version 6.1.4 r13617, a AWUS1900 https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

So i installed kali linux on Virtualbox without problem, then i configure the VM to use USB 3.0 and i add the usb device Realtek 802.11ac NIC.

Ater i runned the previous command i can't use my wifi card in kali linux.

I searched few hour on different post and i can't found a fix

I need your help for fix this problem.

Sorry for my english its not my main langage i try my best.

Hiya,

New member here too, but I have done some reading about the AWUS1900 before I ordered one to make sure that I knew any problems it might have.
    I have ordered one, but it hasn't yet arrived, so I haven't been able to test any of the drivers that I mention below.

I believe that the driver you have installed using the "apt install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms" command is the 5.3.4 version (which is the stable version), however I have read that some people still have problems with the 5.3.4 version.

The developer Kimocoder said he has recently managed to get a new version of the realtek driver to work (or something like that) with his driver.
    I'm not really sure what he meant but the short version is that the 5.6.4.2 version includes some bug fixes from realtek, as well as better range. This driver also seemed to fix some other people issues from the other forums that I have read.

But anyway, maybe try the 5.6.4.2 instead of the 5.3.4 drivers, they may not be as stable but it might help?

Get them here: https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au/tree/v5.6.4.2

I would suggest installing via DKMS like he mentions on the dev page, also worth noting, he says to :
    Use "ip" and "iw" instead of "ifconfig" and "iwconfig" and READ THE READ ME.
    So try this to put it into monitor mode:
    sudo iw dev wlan0 set type monitor

Also, maybe uninstall the 5.3.4 drivers first:
    sudo apt remove realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms

Another few ideas: On virtual box, I always manually add the USB device to the filter rather than select it from the list, because the list doesn't work sometimes. (These instructions also work for all USB devices)

Do this:

0. Make sure you have USB 2.0 selected in the virtualbox USB settings (I think this is specific to the RT8812AU drivers, I've read that they work better on 2.0, infact they have currently removed 3.0 support due to the issues it creates).
    1. Add the USB device to the filters using the list. - This is the button with the green plus sign.
    2. Add a blank filter - This is the button with the blue circle
    3. Name the new filter something.
    4. Copy the Vendor ID and the Product ID from the first filter to the blank filter.
    5. Leave the rest blank. Push Ok.
    6. EJECT THE USB DEVICE FIRST, then Unplug the USB device, Shut down VM, and reboot your host machine (for real).
    7. Boot up your VM and log in, wait until its done.
    8. Plug in the USB device, if Virtualbox is seeing the USB device correctly, the little usb symbol in the bottom right hand corner will have a flashing RED circle to begin with, and then flashing GREEN eventually.

You could check if the device is being captured and passed to the Guest OS properly by running LSUSB and checking to see if your device is listed.

Let me know how you go!!
    I hope I was more of a help than a hindrance, since my AWUS1900 hasn't arrived yet.

I'm sure he wont see it but, thanks to Kimocoder for the dev on these drivers!

Some tags for those trying to google-fu a solution to their USB devices not working in virtualbox:
    Vitualbox USB not working showing connecting Virtualbox USB Problem
    device with UUID busy with previous request