Recently I installed Kali linux on my HP Envy 13 laptop. It's dual-booted with a Windows 10 Insider build. I'm using the 5.3.0 kernel instead of the 5.4.0 kernel because the newest one doesn't boot.

The battery percentage indicator has just two states: 0% and 100%. According to Linux, he's always charging.

Using the terminal I've tried the following commands with their respective results.

/sys/class/power_supply shows two folders: ADP1 and BAT0. The status file in the battery folder shows charging but actually it isn't.

/proc/acpi has button and wakeup inside but **no** battery although I'm assuming it's normal because from what I read since kernel 2.6.24, it has been discouraged/deprecated. I figured I'd check just in case.

lsmod lists battery with a size of 20480 and used by is 0

modinfo battery shows the following:

filename: /lib/modules/5.3.0-kali2-amd64/kernel/drivers/acpi/battery.ko
license: GPL
description: ACPI Battery Driver
author: Alexey Starikovskiy <[email protected]>
author: Paul Diefenbaugh
alias: acpi*:PNP0C0A:*
depends:
retpoline: Y
intree: Y
name: battery
vermagic: 5.3.0-kali2-amd64 SMP mod_unload modversions
parm: cache_time:cache time in milliseconds (uint)

acpi shows Battery 0: Charging, 0%, charging at zero rate - will never fully charge. The indicator in de right corner of the screen shows 100% though.

acpi -V shows:

Battery 0: Charging, 0%, charging at zero rate - will never fully charge.
Adapter 0: on-line

I enabled laptop-mode in Kali. In the BIOS I disabled Secure Boot and enabled Report battery percentage to OS. In Windows I disabled Fast Boot.

I already tried the acpi=force and acpi=off kernel arguments. The first one boots, but no battery is detected by dmesg. The second one doesn't boot at all.

Is there anything else I could try to make it show the right battery energy percentage?