Thread: Unable to locate package python-pip

Unable to locate package python-pip

I'm having this issue where the python-pip package can't be located, I've tried all sorts of fixes but keep getting the same results.

Firstly this,

~$ sudo apt install python-pip
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package python-pip

Secondly this,

~$ sudo apt install python-pip
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    python-pip : Depends: python-pip-whl (= 9.0.1-2+deb9u1) but 20.0.2-4 is to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Any solutions to this?

first update your source list file then do apt-get update and then try to install it

apt-get update is when this problem started, because manifests newer than April 11 no longer contain the python-pip package. I already posted this issue a few posts down, but still no resolution. Yes, python3-pip is still there and installs without problems, but doesn't solve the case of this missing package. I guess a bandaid solution for now will be to install pip manually using the 'get-pip.py' until this is fixed.

hi, had the same problem, figured it out:

running kali on vmware
    my version : Linux 5.4.0-kali4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.4.19-1kali1 (2020-02-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I get all the errors you guys get, then I found this..

the first I saw was:

DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 reached the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 is no longer maintained. A future version of pip will drop support for Python 2.7. More details about Python 2 support in pip, can be found at https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/develo...thon-2-support
    thats the reason its not working.

go to you home dir
    home/user/

download the file:
    wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py

run it:
    sudo python get-pip.py

thats it.

check what versions you have installed go to the terminal: write : pip <then hit the tab button> if you see pip and pip3 then you have the both installed

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyg View Post
    Any solutions to this?
    Python2 is being depreciated around the world and these are the things that will increasingly pop up over the next year or so. Best to explicitly use "python3".
    So the proper solution to your problem is to install python3-pip and to use python3, pip3, etc. Fingers crossed that your code will still work :-)

Hope that helps and please let us know how you go.

Actually, I was having the same problem with this pip3. I'm new to this Kali OS and I don't know much things about the linux commands, console, etc. At least, not advanced things about networking or basic linux commands. I tried watching some videos on how to use different tools available in Kali Linux and how to install them. Most of the time, I couldn't install new tools because they had a command, which involves the usage of -pip, or something. So, whenever I did this -pip, it showed 'unable to locate the package'. Now, I have followed the steps mentioned above by Ztech and it showed successfully installed pip. Let me see if that works.....

Bro when I download the pip.py file it show error that : 404: Not found . Please reply

Quote Originally Posted by ztech View Post
    hi, had the same problem, figured it out:

running kali on vmware
    my version : Linux 5.4.0-kali4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.4.19-1kali1 (2020-02-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I get all the errors you guys get, then I found this..

the first I saw was:

DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 reached the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 is no longer maintained. A future version of pip will drop support for Python 2.7. More details about Python 2 support in pip, can be found at https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/develo...thon-2-support
    thats the reason its not working.

go to you home dir
    home/user/

download the file:
    wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py

run it:
    sudo python get-pip.py

thats it.

check what versions you have installed go to the terminal: write : pip <then hit the tab button> if you see pip and pip3 then you have the both installed

When I download the wget file it show error that 404: not found 😐 please reply