Thread: Tor in Kali Linux??

Tor in Kali Linux??

Hello,

A few years ago I took a CEH intro course from Udemy. It went through setting up Kali Linux in a way that everything would run through TOR. I remember checking it via "service tor status" or starting/stopping it via "service tor start/stop".

Anyway, fast forward a few years, I'm trying to get back into learning everything again. I downloaded the new VirtualBox along with the new Kali Linux.. fire it up.. its completely different than I remember. So I'm getting familiar with everything, open the terminal and try to install Tor. It's nowhere to be found..

I type in "service tor status" - it says "service" is a command not found...

I've missed out on a lot these past few years...

Can anyone lead me in the direction of getting this set back up, or an alternative?

I had a bunch of notes typed out inside my Kali box, not sure what happened but when I booted up - my Kali was a blank slate Which is why I came to kali.org and downloaded the newest version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Normally the Tor service should be started/stopped with either

Code:
    sudo systemctl start/stop tor.service
    or
    Code:
     sudo service tor start/stop
    Running Tor in a terminal runs Tor as your user, and binds it to that terminal window. Running as a service allows Tor to run in the background with the proper permissions.
    Founder of HAC-Security
    Visit us on https://hac-security.com
    Offering Cybersecurity Solutions to Worldwide!

I would love to help but you just said your Kali can't boot up but in a black screen state?