Thread: Can't see DD-WRT router to crack it

Can't see DD-WRT router to crack it

This is my first post to this forum so please be patient with me.

I'm running a newly installed 2020.1b version booted to through GRUB as Windows 10 Pro was already installed on my old Toshiba laptop. With Fern WiFi Cracker and a TL-WN227N I can find the password for my camera and PI network. I configured an old WRT54G with DD-WRTv24-sp2 dated 8/7/10 so I could do additional testing with easy and hard passwords without impacting my other devices. It's setup with mixed mode, SSID broadcast, WPA2 personal, and TKIP - and I tried both channel 6 and 11. I also have both a TL-WN227N (no version label and I have it a very long time so it's likely V1) which shows as an ath9k_htc AR9271 802.11n and a old Alfa AWUS306H which show as an RTL8187 chip set. With Fern I can see my networks just fine as well as some of the neighbors but I can't see the dd-wrt network. With WIN10 I can attach to the dd-wrt network although you get an older security standard message.

This Kali problem seems to make no sense which means I'm likely missing something obvious. Thoughts?

I created a clearer problem definition in a subsequent thread. Please use that.