Thread: Installing Kali Linux with Rufus

Installing Kali Linux with Rufus

Hello,
    I recently downloaded the latest version of Kali Linux from the downloads page and decided to try and put it on a USB stick with Rufus. I know how to make a live USB drive and decided that I would add persistence because having a drive that I can store files and programs on permanently would be incredibly convenient to use. I set the partition size to maximum, used the GPT partition scheme, and let it use the defaults for everything else. It formatted and then copied the ISO file to the USB and created the partitions successfully. Now, in Windows or Linux, when I open the drive, I can see all of the files that would be contained within it normally. However, when I attempt to boot my PC into the USB, I get a line of incredibly small text, about two pixels high, that says something about "strike any key" and a lot else I can't read. When I strike a key, it reboots the computer into the current OS, ignoring the USB, which is first boot priority, going to the hard drive which is second priority. Is there something I did wrong, or is it simply a case of "Rufus isn't guaranteed to work with everything" and I should start over using the instructions on the website? Thanks so much for your help!

Thank you very much! I will look into that.