Thread: Sound not working Kali linux 2020.1

Exclamation Sound not working Kali linux 2020.1

Hello Guys ,

I have a problem in kali linux 2020.1 installation , my laptop is Dell G3 15 3590 and i have a dual boot of kali 2020.1 with windows 10 and all the steps of the kali installation went smoothly , however there is no sound when i am using kali , i tried the solution of the systemctl -user pulseaudio command and it didn't work for me .

Does anyone have an idea of the issue i am facing ?

Thanks in advance

A good solution for no-audio, and enabling auto-detect audio plug in Kali 2020

Quote Originally Posted by abraamnagib View Post
    Hello Guys ,

I have a problem in kali linux 2020.1 installation , my laptop is Dell G3 15 3590 and i have a dual boot of kali 2020.1 with windows 10 and all the steps of the kali installation went smoothly , however there is no sound when i am using kali , i tried the solution of the systemctl -user pulseaudio command and it didn't work for me .

Does anyone have an idea of the issue i am facing ?

Thanks in advance

Hi there,
    I had the same problem, then find out that the auto-detect of the headphones-speakers was not working properly....
    (Yo ! Kali guys.... What are you doing with the audio ???? Fix this once and for all.... You had problems for years now with this...)

First I did the standard (like you did..):
    systemctl --user enable pulseaudio && systemctl --user start pulseaudio

Then also tried the instructions in this link :
    https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/re...-on-kali-linux

But what really did the trick for me (especially with the auto-detect audio-plug in/out) was this link below:

https://medium.com/p/7d77f2f3e599/responses/show by Mr. VENKATESH P:

CLI cmds (edit the bash file):

sudo gedit .bashrc

Then simply add these two lines to the bottom of the file, save it and do reboot:

pulseaudio -D
    clear

Hope this helps you as-well.

All the best,
    Sivan

Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Hi there,
    I had the same problem, then find out that the auto-detect of the headphones-speakers was not working properly....
    (Yo ! Kali guys.... What are you doing with the audio ???? Fix this once and for all.... You had problems for years now with this...)

First I did the standard (like you did..):
    systemctl --user enable pulseaudio && systemctl --user start pulseaudio

Then also tried the instructions in this link :
    https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/re...-on-kali-linux

But what really did the trick for me (especially with the auto-detect audio-plug in/out) was this link below:

https://medium.com/p/7d77f2f3e599/responses/show by Mr. VENKATESH P:

CLI cmds (edit the bash file):

sudo gedit .bashrc

Then simply add these two lines to the bottom of the file, save it and do reboot:

pulseaudio -D
    clear

Hope this helps you as-well.

All the best,
    Sivan
    Out of everything that I tried none of the above worked for me. I should mention that I have the same laptop as OP so this might be useful. After long searches in various forums (mainly Ubuntu forums, since this Dell also comes with some special Ubuntu version installed) found one hackish solution. Supposedly Ubuntu guys patched this issue and this should not be necessary but I haven't tested on Kali yet maybe it got fixed too.
    Anyhow back to the point. Sound can be fixed at the cost of microphone. It seem that there is some detection issued while booting that causes whole audio in/out devices block to be undetected.
    Easiest option is to add snd_hda_intel.dmic_detect=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in your /etc/default/grub
    All options should look something like this:
    GRUB_DEFAULT=2
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet snd_hda_intel.dmic_detect=0"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

I do not know what is the exact problem with the sound here but this fix brought my sound back. I'm assuming this option is causes microphone to be skipped when devices are detected and avoids the errors it causes.

For the fix to work you will need to update your grub.cfg so just run update-grub and reboot your machine.

I'm sorry that I don't have any links with the sources right now. I may update this post later on if I come across those post again.

hey man, i had the same problem, i found out in alsamixer, u open it with the terminal, after that u choose "select sound card", choose something like broadwell, or the one id 1, and then try unmuting with M key, that finally worked with me, good luck with you man

what i found was to purge the "timidity-deamon" see command below:

sudo apt purge timidity-daemon

thanks to Aaro Alhainen on https://aaroalhainen.medium.com/how-i-fixed-my-ubuntu-20-04-no-audio-dummy-output-issue-eaa525838e0d

enjoy...

Quote Originally Posted by agnusdei View Post
    Out of everything that I tried none of the above worked for me. I should mention that I have the same laptop as OP so this might be useful. After long searches in various forums (mainly Ubuntu forums, since this Dell also comes with some special Ubuntu version installed) found one hackish solution. Supposedly Ubuntu guys patched this issue and this should not be necessary but I haven't tested on Kali yet maybe it got fixed too.
    Anyhow back to the point. Sound can be fixed at the cost of microphone. It seem that there is some detection issued while booting that causes whole audio in/out devices block to be undetected.
    Easiest option is to add snd_hda_intel.dmic_detect=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in your /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_DEFAULT=2
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

I do not know what is the exact problem with the sound here but this fix brought my sound back. I'm assuming this option is causes microphone to be skipped when devices are detected and avoids the errors it causes.

For the fix to work you will need to update your grub.cfg so just run update-grub and reboot your machine.

I'm sorry that I don't have any links with the sources right now. I may update this post later on if I come across those post again.
    I just find a easy way to solve this problem by updating and reinstalling grub,according to this link : https://www.linux.com/training-tutor...-grub-2-linux/ when I got trouble into grub boot.
    And you can just execute commands as below:
    sudo grub-update
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda #
    Notice: /dev/sda is the disk your "/" is mounted.
    reboot

I think grub-install may be not necessary to solve this problem as that solves the grub boot problem,but you can have a try.
    Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by agnusdei View Post
    GRUB_DEFAULT=2
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Hi there,
    Just to let you know that I ran into the same problem after installing Kali 2020.4 on an Acer Swift 5, with no sound coming out of the built in speakers. I tried the different fixes listed in this thread.
    Modifying /etc/default/grub and rebooting as mentioned here was what worked for me. So thanks for the hint. 👍