Thread: SM and nvidia driver issues 2020.1b

SM and nvidia driver issues 2020.1b

i found similar troublshooting, but not quite hitting the challenges that i face. For some reason i am not able to install nvidia drivers on this kali build
    Tech:
    supermicro X9dri-f
    2x xeon E5 8 core
    2x gtx 980ti ref.cards.
    kali 2020.1b (fresh install)

i run it on bare metal so no vm or windows. and no secure boot.sources have been added, full update/upgrade have been done. cuda kit installs ok.

After following the step-by-step guide to install nvidia drivers - I am having issues installing nvidia drivers.

from what i can see there are 3 cards detected.
    04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM200 [GeForce GTX 980 Ti] (rev a1)
    08:03.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)---> this is the onboard VGA on the x9 MB.that i use.
    83:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM200 [GeForce GTX 980 Ti] (rev a1)

runing :nvidia-smi
    "NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running"

and also

running: nvidia-smi -i 0 -q
    NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running

troubleshooting-w/clinfo.

running clinfo: /when i run the "clinfo" the nvidia cards are not listed.
    ICD loader properties
    ICD loader Name OpenCL ICD Loader
    ICD loader Vendor OCL Icd free software
    ICD loader Version 2.2.12
    ICD loader Profile OpenCL 2.2

running: pkg -l | grep -i icd
    ii nvidia-egl-icd:amd64 440.82-1 amd64 NVIDIA EGL installable client driver (ICD)
    ii nvidia-opencl-icd:amd64 440.82-1 amd64 NVIDIA OpenCL installable client driver (ICD)
    ii nvidia-vulkan-icd:amd64 440.82-1 amd64 NVIDIA Vulkan installable client driver (ICD)
    ii ocl-icd-libopencl1:amd64 2.2.12-4 amd64 Generic OpenCL ICD Loader
    ii ocl-icd-opencl-dev:amd64 2.2.12-4 amd64 OpenCL development files
    ii pocl-opencl-icd:amd64 1.4-6 amd64 pocl ICD

thank you for assistance, starring at a problem makes you blind after a while. thx for any pointers.

i was following this guide https://www.kali.org/docs/general-us...on-kali-linux/ but i can't go so far, i install it the cuba-toolkit and nvidia drives my computer is a vostro 3570 dell so anyway i just did all the guide say untill i have to use nvidia-smi command but the output was this : rraiomgg@rraiomgg:~$ nvidia-smi
    NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running. so anyone has some clue to how i can fix this please let me know