Thread: Boot Kali up on USB

Boot Kali up on USB

I am trying to make a USB stick that boots a working kali system. Well, it's parrots Linux if that matters.

I was doing ok until I got to the "echo ?/ union? > /mnt/name/persistence.conf here I got "permission denied" I tried sudo nothing worked.
    I get bash /mnt/name/persistence.conf

I would appreciate any input.

Wouldn't you be better off asking that question in the Parrot forums?

Parrot is a kali mod. I think the folks here are sharper then else were. MHO

Are you trying to make a "bootable" usb stick to install. Download the .ISO image
    Now you have to extract that .ISO to the u USB Stick. You could use the
    dd command
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/3726...-from-terminal

Or I use this one here [quote]Rufus]/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=h...eo_description

Hi, thanks for responding. It's easy loading kali on a USB stick and it boots, but it is running in ram, so when you quit anything you did is gone. I want to make the install on the USB as it would be on a real HD, where and work is written to the matrix.
    This is easy in windows, as there are programs called "windows to go" I have made some of them and they work great. I have come close but there is one line that fails it's echo "/ union" > /mnt/my_usb/persistence.conf I get access denied.

This worked on Parrot and Kali 2019, could not make it work on Kali 2020.
    If you have to use sudo, I did this, sudo -i bash, that stopped the need for each line of
    text. But if you close the terminal, you will need to redo it.
    I make no claims this will work for you, it did for me.

so, type.
    fdisk -l this will show all the partitions. I had 3, it's the 3 rd one we are working

on.

fdisk /dev/sdb

#now it will ask you for command, type n and hit enter
    Now press enter 4 more times, and type w and hit enter.
    #we have successfully created the partition.

fdisk -l chk for sdb3

mkfs.ext4 -L persistence /dev/sdb3 wait a bit

e2label /dev/sdb3 persistence

mkdir -p /mnt/duke or any name I used duke.

mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/duke

echo “/ union” > /mnt/duke/persistence.conf this may not work.

umount /dev/sdb3
    exit

NOW DO THIS IS ABOVE FAILS.

must be in sdb3 or your last part.), If you have 3 partitions. otherwise persistence will

not work. You may have 2, just make sure what you have.

Create a new mount point called your choice, I use duke.

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/duke
    Mount your USB persistence partition to duke. Reminder: Your persistence partition may not

be sdb2, please ensure you mount the right one.

sudo mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/duke

Create a new file called persistence.conf using the nano text editor.

sudo nano /mnt/duke/persistence.conf

In this file, type / union. enter

/mnt/duke/persistence.conf enter

/ union enter

Save the file and exit. (Press CTRL + X, press Y, then press ENTER).

Now unmount your persistence partition. Reminder: Your persistence partition may not be

sdb2, please ensure you unmount the right one.
    sudo umount /dev/sdb2

We’re done!

BOOT TO PERSISTENCE ON MENU, IF YOU GET BLACK SCREEN TYPE EXIT, maybe twice.
    IT WILL BOOT BUT IT'S VERY SLOW.

thats a new touch ,

Create a new file called persistence.conf using the nano text editor.

sudo nano /mnt/duke/persistence.conf

In this file, type / union. enter

/mnt/duke/persistence.conf enter

/ union enter
    never saw anyone suggest that before to make persistence.......kali 2020 is not capable of straight forward persistence like your describing - that ended in 2019. I struggled like you after successfully making kali os persistent usbs since BACKTRACK. Yeah there were a few who believed persistence a good idea despite the draw backs at the time (seniors->pun intended). concluded kali2020 can not be made persistent like your describing. What is being described on this forum and youtube for kali2020 is kali installed on a usb (like debian used to be done when debian used an installer a couple of years ago) Now debian has individual iso's, with mainstream persistence use actively maintained and kali has switched to the installer method.

Only way i can come up with to make 2020 persistent 'kinda' is install on usb, then use that usb image as iso for a persistent usb. No real need for the double work unless your running an encrypted + unencrypted os setup on the usb and you want them isolated.

Installer forces user to setup a router vpn just to test the os !! that or inform service provider someone obviously is a kali user and likely doing a fresh install due to the region/time zone requests + kali.org traffic pattern. Perhaps an effort to discourage use idk..

Post back if you find a way to pull a working desktop image iso from an installer, should be easy to create a persistent drive from a standard os iso - i am game to try!

Hi everyone, I have a problem with installing kali with USB, I use this tutorial: https://www.***********************U8Y9LV5Plyw
    around 3:50 in the video, you can see the option menu, but I don't have this option on my laptop, any ideas!! thanks.