Thread: Kali Linux Freezes When Multi-Tasking

Exclamation Kali Linux Freezes When Multi-Tasking

Hello Kali Linux Family! This is my first time posting in the forum and a Kali noob, so bear with me. A few days ago I flashed a MicroSD card on balenaEtcher with Kali Linux and ran it on my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+. I updated and upgraded by running sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y and the process goes smoothly. It isn't until I begin browsing the web with Firefox, have a PDF running, a few terminals running, and other tasks when Kali Linux begins freezing on me. I updated/upgraded Kali Linux to 4.19.93-Re4son-v8+ and my MicroSD card is 64GB (100MB/sec read-speed), my Internet speed is fast and connected via a Wi-Fi adapter, so I'm not too sure what's causing this.

Any suggestions or additional information y'all would like in helping me solve this issue? I appreciate any information and help.

Keep in mind that the RPi3B only has 1GB of ram, unless you are adding either a swap partition to the microsd card, or adding a swap file, you're going to run out of memory quite quick while multitasking on one.

Thank you for the response, steev! Any guides and resources where I can add a swap partition to my microsd card? Any other ways to add RAM to make this baby run smoothly?

No way to add more ram. Adding swap is the same way it would be added on any other system, just point it at the correct place. You'll likely need to shrink your root partition to add the swap partition in. Probably easiest to do on another system running Linux via gparted.