Thread: Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked

Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked

Hello I'm installing kali on my raspberry pi but got the the error, "cannot open access to console, the root account is locked" during boot up. I've looked up what to do but requires me inside terminal but I cant access terminal because I'm only in bootup process any help on what to do please. It will tell me to hit enter to continue but it does nothing from there.

Same problem I was having, but for a different issue after update. Update hung, and I forced rebooted it because process had rebooted computer and hung on the plain Kali blue boot screen with no options for boot.

One thing that bothers me to no end is that many people will tell you what to do, but not explain why they?re telling you do it. When I give instruction, I explain why I?m advising you to do it, so bear with me.

sulogin is single user login used for maintenance. IME, Kali, by default, does not provide for single user login for maintenance. This is probably related to Kali no longer defaulting to root (to protect the user). So you basically have to force single user login in order to be able to mount the file system and repair it with upgrades.

Steps:

1) Create / use the live USB you would normally use to install Kali
    2) Boot into Kali Live
    3) Force single user login, and so you won?t have to deal with typing sudo each time:
    $ sudo -s -H
    4) Find partition of your Kali install & note /dev/dev#:
    NOTE: this can also be located easily from your Grub boot screen options if you are able to pull that up there. In the example below, my Kali install was on /dev/sda7
    # fdisk -l
    5) Force Kali into single user mode:
    # sulogin ? e ?force
    NOTE: You will see the console change to kali:/# instead of the PWD (present working directory)
    6) Mount the broken install (my install is on /dev/sda7)
    # mount /dev/sda7 /mnt
    # mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    # mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    # mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    #chroot /mnt
    #apt update
    #apt upgrade
    7) If there are problems, you will be prompted to run dpkg, run it as instructed and allow to finish, if so, then
    8) Run upgrade again
    9) Reboot system, and boot to Kali install normally

Hello,
    Pardon my ignorance but I don't understand what you mean by "Force single user login" and "Force Kali into single user mode" What part of the sequence of the tutorial is that?
    perhaps I'm using a totally different computer than yours regarding paragraph 6) on your tutorial (mount the broken install...and so forth)
    I'm using an old desktop Dell Optiplex GX620 HD 250 GB 2GB ram with a processor of 3.4Ghz

Honestly, I've checked your tutorial which is the only one detailed about this issue but can not match the sequence with the official Kali installation tutorial.
    However, I see with your good attitude a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you,
    Victor

Quote Originally Posted by thejuice View Post
    Same problem I was having, but for a different issue after update. Update hung, and I forced rebooted it because process had rebooted computer and hung on the plain Kali blue boot screen with no options for boot.

One thing that bothers me to no end is that many people will tell you what to do, but not explain why they?re telling you do it. When I give instruction, I explain why I?m advising you to do it, so bear with me.

sulogin is single user login used for maintenance. IME, Kali, by default, does not provide for single user login for maintenance. This is probably related to Kali no longer defaulting to root (to protect the user). So you basically have to force single user login in order to be able to mount the file system and repair it with upgrades.

Steps:

1) Create / use the live USB you would normally use to install Kali
    2) Boot into Kali Live
    3) Force single user login, and so you won?t have to deal with typing sudo each time:
    $ sudo -s -H
    4) Find partition of your Kali install & note /dev/dev#:
    NOTE: this can also be located easily from your Grub boot screen options if you are able to pull that up there. In the example below, my Kali install was on /dev/sda7
    # fdisk -l
    5) Force Kali into single user mode:
    # sulogin ? e ?force
    NOTE: You will see the console change to kali:/# instead of the PWD (present working directory)
    6) Mount the broken install (my install is on /dev/sda7)
    # mount /dev/sda7 /mnt
    # mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    # mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    # mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    #chroot /mnt
    #apt update
    #apt upgrade
    7) If there are problems, you will be prompted to run dpkg, run it as instructed and allow to finish, if so, then
    8) Run upgrade again
    9) Reboot system, and boot to Kali install normally
    Thank you for this!

I'm really new to Linux and Kali this reply you gave seems like Chinese in my eyes ... Could you break it down please

Hi there, Step 2. Is exactly where I'm getting into the exact same error as the author of this thread. I can't boot into the live usb drive because I'm stuck in Emergency Mode with no access to the console, root account locked. Please help?