I am currently using Kali Linux with virtual box versions 2020.1 and 6.0.20 respectively. I have a tp-link archer t2uh that was working fine on my previous kali build with an older kernel. But since I did a fresh install of the os it has not been working.
(I am a complete newbie to Linux so please excuse my lack of understanding in certain areas)
First and foremost I know my card is recognized by kali, lsub recognizes a "MT7160U ("Archer T2U") 2.4G+5G WLAN Adapter"
but ifconfig does not show any kind of wlan device...
so I decided to run a dmesg and found that the mt7610e driver was missing with error "usb 1-1: firmware: failed to load mediatek/mt7610e.bin". I installed it in the right folder (/usr/lib/firmware/mediatek) and ran the dmesg again.
Kali found the driver "usb 1-1: firmware: direct-loading firmware /mediatek/mt7610e.bin" but two new errors appear at the bottom: "usb 1-1: vendor request req:06 off:0800 failed:-110" and "usb 1-1: firmware upload failed: -110" followed by mt76x0u: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -110" and usbcore: registered new interface driver mt76x0u"
I have tried a dozen "fixes" from other online forums but I still get this same error code from dmesg. I have also tried a couple of different websites for the drivers with the same error.
Thank you for your help