Thread: Having troubles getting NetHunter 2020.2 onto a Nexus 6P

Having troubles getting NetHunter 2020.2 onto a Nexus 6P

Well, I got a Nexus 6P from a friend. It was free, but needs the battery replaced, and had a small crack in the top glass.

I have unlocked the bootloader, flashed the latest official Google firmware, and installed the latest official TWRP, direct from their web site.

I followed the install instructions for the unofficial LineageOS installer (May 12, 2020). However upon rebooting the device, although I do get LOS startup logo, it reboots 60 seconds later, and kicks me into recovery. I?ve tried so many different variations of the instructions.

Of interest, I suspect, is that after installing LOS, the system is unable to mount the /vendor partition. I have tried booting LOS both with and without reinstalling the Vendor img file from stock Google firmware.

I can only imagine that the Devs have gotten it working somehow, if they released a NetHunter zip for Angler running LOS 17.1.

Might I inquire which LOS file they used, and if there is some kind of ancient ritual required to get it to boot?

Oh, Incidentally, I have another Nexus 6P on which a friend hired me to downgrade the OS. I did try the same procedure on it, with the same results across the board.

I had to copy the fstab files across to my laptop via a USB stick, edit them to disable DM-Verity& force encryption, and copy them back.

Oh, and I've got this in my notes after flashing twrp, installing Magisk and when rebooting:

Don't install TWRP app, reboot without ticking "install"

Still haven’t been able to get anything except stick firmware to boot. I would like to mention, that after installing LineageOS, I get a warning message in red about unable to mount /vendor no such partition, or something to that effect. The message is output in and via TWRP. If I leave things that way, I am then unable to install Magisk, as it fails trying to modify said vendor partition.

Also, I should mention, that although I am quite familiar with Linux and fstabs, however, modifying the one in Android to disable the items you mentioned is not something with which I have experience or know how to do. I did download and use a zip installer in TWRP that I got from xda-developers to disable those two items. That same zip file, when applied after magisk, successfully roots and disables encryption and dm-verity in the stock Oreo ROM.

Hi there,
    I had he same issue with the vendor partition a couple of days ago.
    I was able to resolve the issue using an adopted angler specific twrp image.

On XDA there is an unofficial LOS 17 thread and PixelBoot provides the FBE recovery image. As far as I understood the issue is related to the new Android file system (or partition) layout.

Hope it might help you.

Yes, thank you.I kind of suspected that I needed a different TWRP image. I have been trying to download the one in the XDA thread you mentioned, but I always get a 404 error. Where did you get the TWRP image?

Update: I searched the thread, and found the link on page 27. LineageOS 17.1 in initializing now.

Still not working. I can get LineageOS, OpenGapps, Magisk, and Disable-DMVerity_ForceEncryption to install just fine. I can setup and use the phone just fine. When I then apply NetHunter 2020.2 for LOS 10, the phone bootloops.

Notes: 1) My battery doesn't hold a great charge - I need to get it replaced. Still, it lasts a good 3 hours or more. 2) Although I do have a SIM card installed, it is not activated. 3) After installing NetHunter, I do Wipe Dalvic and cache before rebooting. 4) I am doing the installs with an OTG adapter and a USB 3.0 flash drive. Installs are much faster this way vs. doing an ADB sideload in TWRP. 5) I have noticed that I seem to have 2 separate vendor partitions, for some reason. 6) The December 5th, 2018 stock firmware installs just fine, as does the NetHunter for it.