Thread: Problem with installation of 2020.2 on an old laptop --> boot on grub rescue

Problem with installation of 2020.2 on an old laptop --> boot on grub rescue

Hi,

Made differents install of Kali since several years on differents platforms and supports without problems...but had a problem this time

A friend gave me an old laptop (2009 manufacture date), so the idea was to install Kali, to give it a second life.

Made a bootable usb using win32diskimager, with kali-linux-2020.2-installer-i386.iso, fine.

Got a little problem during the install ("starting up the partitioner" step, stuck at 45%)...tried several times, using differents usb keys --> problem resolved changing an option in bios:

IMG_20200519_214917.jpg

Re-tried installation, was successful after the change, reboots and then, this:

IMG_20200523_133856.jpg

Didin't had this problem on the differents install i've made before.

So, itried searching on this forum and someone gave a solution through this link: https://askubuntu.com/questions/2322...ub-rescue-mode
    But didin't works, as when i do ls, only (hd0) appeared (as shown on previous pic) and "insmod normal" gave me an error, whan i tried with only hd0 (error: unknown filesystem).

Tried also to boot in rescue mode with my kali usb key, to update-grub and to grub-install /dev/sda, but nothing changed.

The laptop is a Samsung NP-NC10, the HDD is an ATA Samsung 160go, HM160HI-(S1) (fully verified using hdd regenerator, no corrupted sectors on it) and the kali install is 2020.2 x86 (https://cdimage.kali.org/kali-2020.2...aller-i386.iso), using encryption.

Thanks !

tried yesterday to install via PXE, same thing on reboot, error disk and boot rescue, so sad...

upping, hopping someone, somewhere, will see this

Redownload iso file and try again. Xfce id try since that laptop is more than 10 years old.

Thanks for your answer, i was in real despair you are the first to post
    I've checked the iso using the sha256 sum, everything is correct, it is not corrupted.
    But i don't understand well what you're saying about Xfce, should i use another desktop environment ?

Here the download page has change since i visited last.
    https://www.kali.org/docs/general-use/xfce-faq/

Thanks for the link, will try an advanced install with GNOME instead of Xfce, hope it will work

Installed it with GNOME, same thing as before on restart...

hello I also had the same problem, but after I installed the x64 version were solved my @ samsung rv411

Pls try the 32-bit version

Thanks, but i use 32 bit s version, as I said in my 1st message

are you connected to the internet via ethernet at install? maybe skip grub and try rEFInd? change your bootloader. I always had issues with grub. If you want to use grub, try what is comparable for you (locations) with:
    set root=(hd0,msdos6)
    set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal
    this would be typed at location of your second screenshot

Quote Originally Posted by r3fr3sh View Post
    are you connected to the internet via ethernet at install? maybe skip grub and try rEFInd? change your bootloader. I always had issues with grub. If you want to use grub, try what is comparable for you (locations) with:
    set root=(hd0,msdos6)
    set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal
    this would be typed at location of your second screenshot
    yes, ethernet at install
    will try to search about rEFInd, didn't use it, my differents install always worked using grub since several years...but the laptop is in BIOS, not EFI (manufacture date 2009)
    thanks r3fr3sh, I've try it but when I type "insmod normal", it said "error: no such partition"

Quote Originally Posted by trooper View Post
    hello I also had the same problem, but after I installed the x64 version were solved my @ samsung rv411
    will try this this afternoon, and i'll tell ya

edit: and...don't work, as it is a i686 cpu, so can't install a x64 version on it

upping the thread

Show the output of ls.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Show the output of ls.
    thanks for replying
    what output do you want exactly ?