Thread: Your kernel does not support USB ConfigFS

Your kernel does not support USB ConfigFS

Hi NetHunter community,

I?m new to Nethunter, just testing the built process in the last couple of days.

I have used the python build script from the Gitlab repository to build a Nethunter image (step 4.0 in the documentation). Everything looked fine until I tried to check the HID /USB Attacks. If I open the USB Arsenal I receive the following error: ?Your kernel does not support USB ConfigFS?. Also, if I try to use the DuckHunter HID it is not working correctly (just hitting enters on every device (windows, mac), it does not type the strings).

Are these issues related to the kernel version of the Galaxy S7?

Kernel Version: 3.18.139.Nethunter-WirusMODv1.1

I have tested this on a Galaxy S7 with different ROMs (TouchWiz Grace, LineageOS 14.1, LineageOS 16.0), every time the same issues. The S7 is not supported from LineageOS anymore, so I have used unofficial versions from XDA.

I also did some tests on a Galaxy S5 and have the same problems.

Could you please support me on this topic? Is it possible to build a 4.X kernel for this device?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi NetHunter community,

Same problem.

ConfigFS is indeed a Kernel 4.xx only feature, AFAIK. Although it is technically possible to build a newer kernel, it could take months, or even years of trying, to get a working result. You're more likely to drive yourself crazy from trying, unless you're already a seasoned programmer...

I think it is because client modules are not loaded in ConfigFS

So it?s better to use the classic method of patching for HID and use the kernels less than v4.x

Either that, or get a different model phone that already starts you out with a 4.xx kernel, and obtain and patch the source code.

I have the same problem with Nethunter on a Oneplus One.

Android version 6.0.1 (marshmallow)
    Cyanogen OS version 13.1.2 ZNH2KAS3P0-bacon
    CyanogenMod API level Elderberry (5)
    Kernel version 3.4.112-yesimxev-cyanogenmod-g50246f04f42-dirty root@kali #1

No connection to USB
    No connection to Bluetooth

I downloaded the Nethunter version from Kali website - OnePlus One Marshmallow (ZIP)

Not being able to use the internal wifi chip (WCN3680) for monitoring/injection I needed to use an external wifi and chose the Alfa AWUS036ACH (which was confirmed to be working with a nethunter build).

Interesting detail is that updates and upgrades from kali nethunter terminal are working fine, GET to google.com or youtube.com returns the html codes, so there is connection over wlan0. From android terminal I can use ping and it works. From kali nethunter terminal, nothing.

Apache2 server doesn't start because of problems with the random and urandom.
    nmap doesn't seem to work (tested the same network ip with Kali on laptop and that worked fine)

Many of the other included pentesting apps are also not working, mainly because of the wlan0, which can not monitor/inject.

I can get it that the internal wifi won't work, but if the external also doesn't work because of an old kernel not supporting usb/bluetooth, well, where does this "Oneplus One, our preferred phone" comes from?

I've been browsing for days now, trying to find info to solve this. 95% gobblygaggle.

Is there anyone out there that truly knows something to get through this? Or is it better to consider nethunter to be "good looking, Mr. Robot show off" tinker thing and move on to more reliable and professional solutions? If there are any...

ConfigFS

Quote Originally Posted by aaronouthier View Post
    ConfigFS is indeed a Kernel 4.xx only feature, AFAIK. Although it is technically possible to build a newer kernel, it could take months, or even years of trying, to get a working result. You're more likely to drive yourself crazy from trying, unless you're already a seasoned programmer...
    I just looked this up and found the following info in Wikipedia;

"Configfs is a RAM-based virtual file system provided by the 2.6 Linux kernel."

So, now I am confused. Assuming that this information of Wikipedia is correct, it should be in the kernels after 2.6. However, you state that this is a Kernel 4.xx only feature. Does this mean that for Nethunter they took it out of the 3.xx kernels and put it back in the 4.xx kernels?

Would it be possible to add it to the 3.xx kernel we now using?

If it is not too much work and it would solve a lot of problems, why not?