Thread: Using windows 10 for gaming in a VM

Using windows 10 for gaming in a VM

Hi! I want to use Kali Linux as my main OS. But I would like to use windows 10 as well, a dual Boot would be really annoying since I would have to reboot every time the pc to get from an OS to another, So I'm thinking, can I use windows 10 in a VM for playing games that requires a strong PC? GTA 5, Warzone ETC... I can maybe buy an hdd in which I would put the whole windows vm. I have 16 gb of ram so I think it is not an issue, since kali do not use much of it, and a strong grapich card: RX570. I'm asking if it is possible to run the games I said in the windows VM without having problems with the FPS or any. Maybe explain me better and in deatil if I can, or not, thanks!
    in detailin detail

Hi there main problem with using a VM for gaming will be the graphics -- you'll need to ensure that the VM runs graphics as near in Native mode as possible - and has GPU acceleration / 3D etc etc.

You won't be able to do that properly with VMWARE workstation / Player or VBOX.

You'll either have to try using HYPER-V and enable passthru on the graphics card -- not as easy to do if you don't know VM's -- and HYPER-V doesn't have decent USB facilities if you need those too.

If you really want to run this type of VM you really need to look at something like VMware's ESXI -- that will work a treat but it's a bit picky to set up and needs exactly the right hardware (especially the Network interface cards) or it will fail.

VM's can run things like photoshop, video editing, video playback etc these days - but serious gaming is another proposition where you will need to be able to access the hardware directly (GPU, CPU, Graphics particularly) or the experience will be a bit of a flop. Typical VM's used for software development / application testing etc such as used by VMWARE player / workstation or VBOX isolate the hardware quite a lot and tend to rely on a Virtual Bios. If you need further information about the Operating Systems like Windows 10, https://www.impkeys.com/product-cate...osoft-windows/

games in VM

Quote Originally Posted by Silvano View Post
    Hi! I want to use Kali Linux as my main OS. But I would like to use windows 10 as well, a dual Boot would be really annoying since I would have to reboot every time the pc to get from an OS to another, So I'm thinking, can I use windows 10 in a VM for playing games that requires a strong PC? GTA 5, Warzone ETC... I can maybe buy an hdd in which I would put the whole windows vm. I have 16 gb of ram so I think it is not an issue, since kali do not use much of it, and a strong grapich card: RX570. I'm asking if it is possible to run the games I said in the windows VM without having problems with the FPS or any. Maybe explain me better and in deatil if I can, or not, thanks!
    in detailin detail
    of course you can do it, but not recamenudi,your pc will require more RAM and graphics memory than the game asksthere will still be problems with launching gameson
    PC will always run Linux and VM what will affect energy costs
    My advice would be better if you do dual Boot