Thread: "Secure Boot Violation" with Kali USB Boot

"Secure Boot Violation" with Kali USB Boot

I followed the tutorial shown in
    HTML Code:
    The Official Kali Documentation
    for making a Kali Bootable USB.

When restarting my computer, I am prompted with Window's menu screen where you select the Drive you wish to boot from. When selecting the USB Drive with Kali Live, I get the following message:

kali-secure-boot-violation.jpg

How can I fix this?

My main operating system is Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Sorry for my bad english.

Highly recommend to browse information on secure boot mode settings in your computer.

Hope above helps and good luck.

Hi,

It's because the secure boot is activated, related to UEFI
    You have to go in the bios of your computer, and search for an option called secure boot
    Post scrrenshots if you can, i can guide you and tell you what to do to deactivate it, allowing you to boot your usb drive

I am having a similar issue. I have a full OS installation of Kali on an external SSD and it works fine on a little HP netbook. However, when I try and boot into it with a new Dell G5 I got from work it won't boot. I get an Error Loading Operating System message. I have been all over the BIOS turning off and on secure boot and Legacy Mode. As a test I made a quick Kali Live thumbdrive and it booted fine. Why isn't it loading the Kali SSD drive if it will load a live thumbdrive?

Quote Originally Posted by secswurker View Post
    I am having a similar issue. I have a full OS installation of Kali on an external SSD and it works fine on a little HP netbook. However, when I try and boot into it with a new Dell G5 I got from work it won't boot. I get an Error Loading Operating System message. I have been all over the BIOS turning off and on secure boot and Legacy Mode. As a test I made a quick Kali Live thumbdrive and it booted fine. Why isn't it loading the Kali SSD drive if it will load a live thumbdrive?
    Hi - the reason is probably (can't tell without seeing the thumb drive) because your thumb drive is formatted with a MBR and UEFI falls back to legacy compatibility mode -i.e. UEFI doesn't know that it's a Kali distro, it just executes the boot loader from the MBR on the USB. Your SSD is (again guessing...) probably formatted with with a GPT table rather than with a MBR. If so, then UEFI will only run signed boot loaders if Secure Boot option is enabled

If all this is gobbldy gook... have a look at this - it's a really well written post: https://www.happyassassin.net/posts/...lly-work-then/