Thread: Wrong keyboard layout at login

Wrong keyboard layout at login

Although I managed to login into my newly-installed Kali Linux as a VMware virtual machine image and change the keyboard layout correctly, this layout only works AFTER login ; the login window still only accepts "kqli" instead of "kali" as input from my Belgian keyboard... How to fix this annoyance?

Fixing the keyboard permanently

Quote Originally Posted by seriewoordenaar View Post
    Although I managed to login into my newly-installed Kali Linux as a VMware virtual machine image and change the keyboard layout correctly, this layout only works AFTER login ; the login window still only accepts "kqli" instead of "kali" as input from my Belgian keyboard... How to fix this annoyance?
    Hi,
    I don't know if you still have the issue, but each time I reinstall Kali Linux, it takes me 1 hour to set the keyboard in French. So, this tuto will be usefull at least for me in a few month
    In order to set the keyboard layout of your choice everywhere (login, console, any apps ...), even after a reboot, please enter this command listed below a in terminal :

# Example with French keyboard

# Pass the keyboard to AZERTY :
    $ setxkbmap fr

# to make it permanent (not sure about the utility of the two first commands) :

$ loadkeys fr
    $ loadkeys fr-pc
    $ dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

Just follow the instruction by choosing a keyboard model, then choose "Other/Autre", and then choose the layout of your country.
    After the final "<Ok>", the wizard disappears and it's done. At the next reboot, the keyboard will remain in AZERTY.

Hope it helps.
    Marcello

Hi, i've got the same issue, i try to change the layout to DE-CH German - Switzerland (No dead Keys), so far the only way to do that that i came a cross is to create a custom kali live build.
    There is an older post in the Developer Archive about changing the region and keyboard layout for the custom build to spanish. https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?28151-Building-a-custom-Kali-Live-CD-with-screen-reader-and-spanish-environment&highlight=custom+live+spanish

But i to be honest this didn't help me to do the same for a custom Kali Live build with the newest version and the keyboard layout for german - swiss.
    So i was hopping maybe there is a pro in here that would be so kind to help us out and could explain to us how to create a custom build where the standard keyboard layout is Belgian for you and German - Switzerland in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by mtopp View Post
    Hi, i've got the same issue, i try to change the layout to DE-CH German - Switzerland (No dead Keys), so far the only way to do that that i came a cross is to create a custom kali live build.
    There is an older post in the Developer Archive about changing the region and keyboard layout for the custom build to spanish. https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?28151-Building-a-custom-Kali-Live-CD-with-screen-reader-and-spanish-environment&highlight=custom+live+spanish

But i to be honest this didn't help me to do the same for a custom Kali Live build with the newest version and the keyboard layout for german - swiss.
    So i was hopping maybe there is a pro in here that would be so kind to help us out and could explain to us how to create a custom build where the standard keyboard layout is Belgian for you and German - Switzerland in my case.
    Hey there, I was having the same issue, just follow this steps:

Code:

To change the german keyboard in Kali Linux 2020.02 (Debian) do the following:

dpkg-reconfigure locales

Choose de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8 and unselect en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8 (by pressing Space)

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

Choose your keyboard hardware

For Kali Linux 2020.2 (Debian) goto GUI

Settings/Settings Editor

To Channel Keyboard-layout

Under Line XkbLayout String change the value to de (delete us)

This permanently changes the layout to the german keyboard.

Hey everyone,

I am stuck at the same thing. I tried to configure as mentioned above, went for xfce, locales etc.

My login screen now even says DE-German, but when I type, ****+2 still gives me an @ instead of "

This is super annoying.

anyone any other idea?

PS: I am running Kali 2021.2 on a MBP

THx