Thread: No device for installation media was detected

No device for installation media was detected

So 2 different usb thumb drives and 3 different versions of boot disk maker software (Rufus 308 and 3.11, BalenaEtcher current) and each 2020 kali installler iso gets stuck at the Detect and Mount installation media phase.
    Curious since it booted to the media and launched the installer okay.
    On some of the first tries yesterday I ran some of the shell commands found on google articles to see if any of that delta'd but nothing showed. No devices listed.
    Any thought or suggestions?
    This is a brand new Acer Aspire 5 LT that obvs came with Win10. Like to be able to dual boot...but hoping to just use Kali forever more.....

Cheers
    J

Same issue here. If I find a solution i'll post back.

Try this in the shell
    mkdir -p /media/usb
    mount /dev/sdb1 /media/usb

I was also having this problem with my 160gig USB HDD (I was using Rufus AND then Etcher) in my netbook. It surely supports USB boot but the message 'No device for installation media was detected' kept appearing, even if I unplug then replug the USB device again.

I fixed this one just by using the last version of Rufus (3.12) while formatting my 4gb SD as FAT (just FAT, not FAT32) and by forcing Rufus to write as DD (not ISO), during my instalation of kali-linux-2020.3-installer-amd64.iso (or kali-linux-2020.3-installer-i386). Those versions are always getting updated. Those versions is already 'hybrid ISO', which supports 'ISO writing' and 'DD writing'.
    Rufus sometimes ask us to download files, like ldlinux.bss and ldlinux.sys from syslinux-6.04 because of newer kernels, it seems. I then clicked 'ok, download them'.
    Gotcha! It showed the partitions (I used just /home as a separate partition), and it's now formatting with 'random bytes' (that one lasted more than 1 hour).

It seems many notebooks and desktops dont like linux 'USB' driven installations when we use 'large disks' for them. Please try with 2gb, 4gb or perhaps 8gb pendrives, SD or even compact flash ones (with their adapters if applicable).

Worked for me. Thanks.
    But any idea why this is happening in the first place?