Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual Booting Kali Linux with Windows 7

Hello

i installed kali linux with a cd.I did somthing wrong in the process because my laptop doesnt start up now (its a toshiba) and i cant turn into boot modus and do a factory reset it stucks on a black screen. What do i need to do now?

default username and password are root and toor respectively.. hope it helps

Screenshot from 2015-04-05 22:42:43.jpg

I have configured my hard disk like this, I have installed Kali in 29GB portion but it is still booting to WIndows 7. The 45GB one has WIndows 7. What to do make it appear in the boot option?

HI, Guys ....... My problem is that i reently installed Kali Linux on my pc (single boot) and now i want to install windows on my pc .......when i made a bootable drive for windows and started installing it it says windows cannot be instaled as it requires a NTFS drive ,So my question is how do i mange my partitions in kali linux and create a NTFS drive,Thanks in Advance

My issue was SOLVED!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by @root; 2015-06-15 at 15:35.

Hello everyone, I'm new in the forum!
    Here the facts:
    Installed Windows 7ice Extreme on my HDD.
    From Windows I resized the OS partition and created a new one for data ad leaved a 40GB free space.
    Booted from CD the Graphical Install.
    Partitioned manually my free space: 2gb swap and the remaining as logical ext4 with journaling for the OS.
    Installed correctly Kali, was asked me to install Grub in the master boot record..I said yes because he saw the Windows Vista(bootloader).
    Reboot.
    Grub rescue: no such partition.

Now, I'm a beginner so I tryed some methods to recover or fix Grub found in internet, but anything works...
    Things that could be (or not..) useful:
    In grub rescue:
    - ls command gives me: (hd0) (hd0,msdos3) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1) (fd0)
    - ls (hd0,3)/ doesn't return any answer...the machine seems to do nothing, completely freezed...after 20 mins->CTRL+ALT+DEL!
    - but commands like "set prefix=(hd0,3)/boot/grub" seems to work..no errors...
    In live:
    - "mount /devs" displays: "mount: can't find devs in /etc/fstab or etc/mtab"..
    ...trying to continue after all...
    - when I try to update GRUB he sais something like "no groups found" and then "Windows Vista(loader) found. done." But no changes.
    What went wrong?
    Last edited by Thundermet; 2015-07-02 at 09:59.

Unhappy black screen cursor

i am using win 7 in dell inspiron with 4 gb ram with i5 processor .
    i tried burning the iso to a dvd using nero's option data dvd ...
    and when i try to boot it from bios its shows a black screen with cursor blinking 3 times and boot into windows..
    i then tried mounting it with daemon tools , then used the setup from the file of iso and it made a box to reboot to complete installation and i did that, but when i rebooted it came up with a boot loader of win 7 and kali linux installation completion and went for the installation ... but proceeding the steps it end up with a cd-rom not detected box and i was supposed to abort the installation ..
    is there any possible way to fix this....

Hello

I have an external HDD and what I want to do is installing Kali Linux in this external HDD but no placing Grub on my principal drive "C:" (it has Windows).
    I don't want to see Grub splash asking me every single time if I want to load Windows or Linux, I want my PC turn on or restart and go directly to Windows but if I set as primary boot my external drive, I select the external HDD where do I have Kali Linux and I'll run Kali Linux.

I have installed Kali Linux with Grub option, and I just remove it (with fixmbr utility of Windows), so I'm going to reinstall Kali Linux in my external HDD... Is there any option during installation that allows me to do what I want? Can I install Grub only my external HDD?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Udbhav8 View Post
    HI, Guys ....... My problem is that i reently installed Kali Linux on my pc (single boot) and now i want to install windows on my pc .......when i made a bootable drive for windows and started installing it it says windows cannot be instaled as it requires a NTFS drive ,So my question is how do i mange my partitions in kali linux and create a NTFS drive,Thanks in Advance
    In this scenario it better and easier first install Windows and after that Kali linux.

Quote Originally Posted by lokomega View Post
    Hello

I have an external HDD and what I want to do is installing Kali Linux in this external HDD but no placing Grub on my principal drive "C:" (it has Windows).
    I don't want to see Grub splash asking me every single time if I want to load Windows or Linux, I want my PC turn on or restart and go directly to Windows but if I set as primary boot my external drive, I select the external HDD where do I have Kali Linux and I'll run Kali Linux.

I have installed Kali Linux with Grub option, and I just remove it (with fixmbr utility of Windows), so I'm going to reinstall Kali Linux in my external HDD... Is there any option during installation that allows me to do what I want? Can I install Grub only my external HDD?

Thanks!
    Solved reinstalling Kali Linux and during the process of grub installation, set the install to 'dev/sdb1'

Hi guys first post here, i hope i haven't missed a similar post with an answer but I am having terrible trouble with the install, all seems to go perfectly fine, partitioned the swap 3gb and the installation completed once the system restarts it just goes back to windows, no sign of Grub even though it was said to have installed. i have scoured the net and tried installations about 15 times to no avail. would be great of anyone could explain to me why i cant seem to get any kind of boot option for Kali. I'm testing the install on a asus x55c standard basic config.

Quote Originally Posted by Brackenwood View Post
    Hi guys first post here, i hope i haven't missed a similar post with an answer but I am having terrible trouble with the install, all seems to go perfectly fine, partitioned the swap 3gb and the installation completed once the system restarts it just goes back to windows, no sign of Grub even though it was said to have installed. i have scoured the net and tried installations about 15 times to no avail. would be great of anyone could explain to me why i cant seem to get any kind of boot option for Kali. I'm testing the install on a asus x55c standard basic config.
    this problems is related to your iso files kali image. download another kali iso img (32 or 64 depends of your system) and preform SHA1Sum check is it OK. If it is not ok, download another one. After that make boot USB or CD and install Kali linux.
    or the second problem could be at your kali partition. wipe it and try again instalation
    Last edited by duxim; 2015-08-08 at 16:06.

Hello guys. I have win7 and kali on my hard disk. I have problem with win7 after using kali. Win7 missed all usb after using kali. I have a laptop and only solves the problem of the removal of the battery, but after all the potassium usb again not work. help me pls

Hello. I joined today. Having Win7 x64 on my SSD and Kali linux intalled on 20gb ext4 partititon on my 750gb HDD and when asked GRUB installed on main SSD.

Problem i have is booting either one of the OS s completly luck. When i start my computer It randomly opens up Grub which i can chose Kali or Win7 and no problem after that. but when i resart the computer or just shutdown and open it up 2 min later I get
    Error No Such Device afd8aadg4a8g4a48d
    grub rescue> command

when i shutdown via Button on computer and try restarting it half of the time I get grub rescue and half of the time I get Grub menu which works fine and i can boot either of systems. I really dont know why sometimes restarting causes it and sometimes solves it. How can i fix this problem? I searched quite a bit and found fixmbr fix boot to reconfigure Bootloader to just use win7 but I want to dual but without the fear of Grubrescue screen every once in a while.

thank you.

Finally installed Kali 2.0 and it's awesome.. and just wanted to share this dual boot setup.

This is for dual booting Kali and Windows 7 with a separate TrueCrypt volume partition

I have 3 dynamic partitions: Windows 7 Home Premium, TrueCrypt partition and a blank parition for Kali.

So the steps that I took are the following:

Requirements:

* Get partion wizard manager 4.22 iso and burn it on USB
    https://onedrive.live.com/?id=B0A227...&action=locate

* Get Kali iso and burn it on DVD
    * Backup your TrueCrypt partition

Convert dynamic to basic partition:

* Boot from the USB and convert the dynamic partitions into basic
    - Win 7 and blank partitions will be converted to basic w/o erasing it.
    - However the truecrypt partition will be wiped out and you will just have to redo TrueCrypt and restore it from your backup later on

* Next boot from the Kali DVD and just select install and follow the instructions. It will detect Win 7 and ask you what partition you want to install Kali on. In my case my blank partition is ready. Once completed it will reboot and you now have the GRUB dual boot menu.

Hope this helps...

I have a UEFI based BIOS, and have been having quite a bit of trouble installing Kali alongside my windows installation. I have imaged my flash drive with the Kali 2.0 .iso file from Rufus, Unetbootin, and Win32DiskImages, and tried on multiple flash drives plugged into multiple USB ports with no luck. When I try to boot from the flash drive, the screen goes blank for a split second, and then it comes back to my BIOS again. I was able to boot from the flash drive when legacy mode (csm) was enabled, and I successfully installed. When I rebooted, there was no GRUB option presented, and I was not able to boot to GRUB from the BIOS.

I really don't know what else to do. I am firmiliar with installing Linux operating systems, and dual-booting is nothing new for me, but I can't seem to get my computer to boot to my flash drive with legacy mode disabled (which in mandatory in my configuration). Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CS_5 View Post
    I have a UEFI based BIOS, and have been having quite a bit of trouble installing Kali alongside my windows installation. I have imaged my flash drive with the Kali 2.0 .iso file from Rufus, Unetbootin, and Win32DiskImages, and tried on multiple flash drives plugged into multiple USB ports with no luck. When I try to boot from the flash drive, the screen goes blank for a split second, and then it comes back to my BIOS again. I was able to boot from the flash drive when legacy mode (csm) was enabled, and I successfully installed. When I rebooted, there was no GRUB option presented, and I was not able to boot to GRUB from the BIOS.

I really don't know what else to do. I am firmiliar with installing Linux operating systems, and dual-booting is nothing new for me, but I can't seem to get my computer to boot to my flash drive with legacy mode disabled (which in mandatory in my configuration). Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Dear CS_5,
    My best advise is to read post here on forum. Collect all information from post and you will be able to install Kali 2.0 on your UEFI boot system. You have a lot of similar problems there and members solve it.
    https://forums.kali.org/forumdisplay...ing-Kali-Linux

Trouble installing Kali to a partition?

I have been having difficulty installing Kali Linux to a partition I have set up. I have been trying to install from a usb drive. The usb runs live Linux just fine, it's just I want a more permanent installation. Whenever I try to install, I get an error while the computer tries to detect and mount the usb. It says there is a problem reading data from the cd rom. I have also tried using a cd but it doesn't seem to want to even boot from the cd, because whenever I try, it just boots straight into Windows 7. Any solutions? Is it even possible to install Kali to a partition using the usb drive?

Unhappy

when i boot it i get this image.jpgimage.jpg
    pld help

That's probably from an error while installing Linux. Try wiping the partition with Linux on it and make a new usb drive to install from.

Tutorial here: http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install

Here refer this
    this may solve your problem
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...all-Kali-Linux
    ################################################

|
    /vvvvvvvvvvvv \-------------------------------------------------------------------------,,
    |^^^^^^^^ /===================================--""

----------The quieter you become,The more you will able to hear-----------
    Venkatesh L Sharma https://twitter.com/1337in

Hi folks,

I have a problem, I have Win 7 installed on a SSD 128 GB and I have an HDD runing for my programs.
    Now I wanted to install Kali on a seperate SSD also 128 GB.
    To do so i unpluged the 2 Win 7 Harddrives so the Kali SSD and the bootloader has nothing to do with them I just one seperate Kali-SSD everything went fine so far, BUT.
    After I finished the installation I could run Kali without a Problem but as soon as I pluged the other 2 drives back on I just can start Win when I try to switch the boot SSD to Kali I get the error

"can't access tty; job control turned off "

Maybe that helps

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=8de5a054-8971-4d59-999d-3859392175e3 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=4ebd4842-e3b5-4277-b8a5-e60a06a4810c none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I dont know how to fix the problem.
    While booting I don´t want to be asked wich operating system should be started it should just run Win 7 all the time unless I manuali interupt the boot and switch to Kali.

And everything of the obove would work I just have the problem that Kali dont find the source or somthing.
    Is there any way to change sda1 to sda5 or somthing?

When I unplug the Win Drives I can start Kali without any Problems again.

And if you have a solution please go in detail, I´m totaly new to Kali.

All other Forums couldn´t help me, I hope you can.
    Thank you very much.

Hey guys please help me out as soon s possible because I am in a big trouble now.
    Actually while installing Kali Linux on my hard disk I gave the location for grub boot loader in sda partition now my pc is not booting into windows it displays that no boot device found what to do guys. :........-(

@Lomash Dubey
    use any tools for boot repair like hiren's boot, boot repair cd...
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Problem after update package

I have this problem in startup after grub Select

I have 1 ssd (Windows)

1 hdd (STORAGE Windows ad partition for kali)

Can i fix?

Question

Hi there
    I tried dual booting Kali and win 10 and partitioned some space for Kali in won 10

But when I boot to Kali installation rather then showing me unlocated partition of 107 GB
    it's shows me combination of my D and E drive which is of 827 GB I tried to partition it but
    I corrupted my window any help I installed Windows again

So PLZ tell me what i do ?

Quote Originally Posted by Royal.Ninja View Post
    Hi there
    I tried dual booting Kali and win 10 and partitioned some space for Kali in won 10

But when I boot to Kali installation rather then showing me unlocated partition of 107 GB
    it's shows me combination of my D and E drive which is of 827 GB I tried to partition it but
    I corrupted my window any help I installed Windows again

So PLZ tell me what i do ?
    In a partitioning method while installation, installer asks you which method do you want to choose:
    Guided-use entire disk
    Guided-use entire disk and choose LVM
    Guided-use entire disk and set up encrypted LVM
    Manual

which one are you choosing?

Problem with wireless card in Windows and Audio Volume in Kali.

I've installed a dual boot Kali 2016.2 successfully along side windows 7. I worked in both and they were fine (Except the 2nd issue.). Until I put a update in Kali. I've the below issues.

1. After the update, I'm not getting my wireless card to work in Windows. My windows 7 detects my wireless device in device manager. I've reinstalled, disabled/enabled the wireless device, but of no use. "ipconfig" shows that media disconnected. I've added NETDOWN='no' in "/etc/default/halt", but of no effect.

2. The maximum volume in Kali is much lower than that of windows (Both the inbuilt speaker and with an earphone). So to watch a properly ripped video, I have to login to windows, watch it and switch back to kali.

One more thing, I currently have the default graphics driver nouveau. Since I've dual graphics, I want to try the bumblebee. Is there anything I should know or be careful of, before proceeding to that? As I've read at many places, that after installing the nVidia drivers, they were not able to login to their Linux.

System Details:
    Lenovo Z50-70
    Core i5, 12 GB RAM, 2GB nVidia 820M along with Intel HD graphics.

Here's the output of "lspci"

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 0b)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
    00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 0b)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev e4)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev e4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
    03:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev a1)

please clue me just finished installing linux on my laptop's time 2 win 10 and time booting linux, the installation went smoothly until the finish. and when I enter the root user name and password paswornya according to which I made when installing. but do not want to get into the linux desktop time. that there is only silver appearance but did not break in time desktop linux .. please guide. thank you

30. Quote Originally Posted by RedForman View Post
    http://http.kali.org/README.mirrorlist
    Just put the full mirror name in the first box at the top, and /kali/ in the box at the bottom.
    Here's one from that link you supplied:
    http://ftp.belnet.be/kali/kali/README (be, prio 200)

So which part of that link above is the "mirror name"?

Quote Originally Posted by ratdon View Post
    I've installed a dual boot Kali 2016.2 successfully along side windows 7. I worked in both and they were fine (Except the 2nd issue.). Until I put a update in Kali. I've the below issues.

1. After the update, I'm not getting my wireless card to work in Windows. My windows 7 detects my wireless device in device manager. I've reinstalled, disabled/enabled the wireless device, but of no use. "ipconfig" shows that media disconnected. I've added NETDOWN='no' in "/etc/default/halt", but of no effect.

2. The maximum volume in Kali is much lower than that of windows (Both the inbuilt speaker and with an earphone). So to watch a properly ripped video, I have to login to windows, watch it and switch back to kali.

One more thing, I currently have the default graphics driver nouveau. Since I've dual graphics, I want to try the bumblebee. Is there anything I should know or be careful of, before proceeding to that? As I've read at many places, that after installing the nVidia drivers, they were not able to login to their Linux.

System Details:
    Lenovo Z50-70
    Core i5, 12 GB RAM, 2GB nVidia 820M along with Intel HD graphics.

Here's the output of "lspci"

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 0b)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
    00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 0b)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev e4)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev e4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
    03:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev a1)
    1. I think there is no connection of kali with your windows while accessing your wifi driver. There might be some other reasons due to which your wireless is not working.
    2. For speaker i am not sure about the solution but may be you should play with alsa tools or you can configure it through HDAJackRetask.
    3. You get the nouveau driver by default in linux and after that if you want to install nvidia drivers than here is the link you can follow.https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...Optimus-laptop .

I am using nvidia in my lenovo Y50 with the help of this guide and its working fine with regular updates.
    I hope this will help

Im having trouble because of my gpu I think (ATI Radeon).
    It stopped working a couple of months ago in win7 and the pc wouldn't boot so I didn't install the Radeon's drivers and it ran perfectly. Now I think it's the same problem with Kali. I don't really know how can I disable the gpu acceleration , I don't even know much commands in terminal so you guys would really help me if you can cop/paste the instructions step by step. THANKS A LOT

• 1 - Booting in Normal Mode

• 2 - Booting in Recovery mode

HP ProBook 4530s

Dual Booting 64 bit Kali 2018.1 with Windows 10. Dual boot works correctly in that I can boot into both OS's, but when trying to connect to WiFi in Kali it won't see my home router or any other nearby networks. If I turn on the WiFi hotspot on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, it connects straight away so the NIC appears to be working correctly. I thought I read somewhere in the Kali Linux Revealed book that due to the nature of Kali and what it is used for, the WiFi is disabled by default as a security measure but that doesn't add up if it will connect to my phone.

**EDIT**

If the laptop is connected via Ethernet the WiFi NIC finds the AP with no issues and will even allow me to enter the security key but it seems to drop it as soon as the cable is pulled.

Can anyone provide any assistance at all or even let me know whether this is the correct post to ask this type of question?
    Last edited by Typhoon; 2018-02-21 at 22:29.

Honest I checked all other posts and can't find one matching my problem. I have an ASUS X551M notebook w/Windows 8.1 that I want to eventually convert WHOLLY to Kali but for now I wish to dual boot (Kali and Windows 8.1). Following a post in another install thread How to Install Kali Linux to Hard Disk I ran Mini Tool Partition Wizard in Windows and resized the 500 GB Window partition to 400 GB leaving 100 GB for Kali install. I successfully installed 2018.1 from DVD with the installer finding the 100 GB free space I had created (yes I know the word partition means something different in Windows vs Linux so I'll avoid using that word). I accepted the partition defaults and all grub-related MBR settings. The installer ended with kicking out the DVD disk and prompting me to reboot. I did so, hit CMOS (F2 on my ASUS notebook) and found only two options- Windows Management and the Matshashit DVD drive so I selected Windows Management. I don't see the GRUB boot loader menu when it boots, it just boots to Windows 8.1. Mini Tool sees the partitions created by the Kali install. Per an earlier post in this thread I have downloaded and installed EasyBCD but I don't know what I am doing with it. I accessed the Help for it and am reading the BIOS/MBR Boot Process docs on neosmart.net but I am not sure how to go about configuring the MBR via that tool or by other means so that I see the GRUB boot loader menu when booting via Windows Management. I have confirmed that yes post-Kali install I can boot to Live Kali successfully via the DVD that I burned the 2018.1 Kali image to (the same one I ran the install from). Any ideas? I presume this should be something simple but presently it is escaping me. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

fdisk -l output in live mode:
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt
    Disk identifier: D249AB9A-2FAE-4930-B982-8AE340DAB7E1

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 206847 204800 100M EFI System
    /dev/sda2 206848 2050047 1843200 900M Windows recovery environment
    /dev/sda3 2050048 2312191 262144 128M Microsoft reserved
    /dev/sda4 2312192 722997247 720685056 343.7G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/sda5 934809600 976773119 41963520 20G Windows recovery environment
    /dev/sda6 722997248 722999295 2048 1M BIOS boot
    /dev/sda7 722999296 926652415 203653120 97.1G Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda8 926652416 934809599 8157184 3.9G Linux swap

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

Disk /dev/loop0: 2.6 GiB, 2775728128 bytes, 5421344 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I found this thread: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...i-linux-2016-2
    am chasing this down so to speak. I found sda1 to be EFI above no? I can run the command mount /dev/sda1 /mnt but can't run any of the mount --bind commands - output is no mount point exists. Also commands grub-install and update-grub don't exist (command not found). Scrolling down on the thread I tried the sudo commands however "sudo mount /dev/sda1/ /mnt/boot/efi'" outputs mount point doesn't exist (all previous commands worked) my barely educated guess is without /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi not working I can't continue? I'll stop for now, please chime in anyone with ideas. Thank you!

@Hammondo Follow this to re-install grub and continue the discussion there if you face any problem.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ith-Windows-10

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    @Hammondo Follow this to re-install grub and continue the discussion there if you face any problem.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ith-Windows-10
    Thank you _defalt! I have read page 1 of that thread (there are 41 pages) Am I to follow the steps outlined at the top of the thread or elsewhere? At the top of the thread there are bind and mount commands but in the middle there is a grub-install which if I run I see "command not found"

EDIT:
    Apologies - 41 POSTS not 41 pages;-) I replied to that thread with my fdisk -l output and missing mount point errors when running the manual grub install
    Last edited by maiki; 2018-02-28 at 08:24. Reason: Merge Posts

Having problem with win 7 64 bit and kali 2018.1 64 bit
    Having encryption with swap and / and of course have another non encryption /boot

Before i playing with encryption i never have problem make dual boot in my laptop with win 7 and kali linux

There win 7 in in my grub list but i cant boot to windows
    Last edited by astraclue; 2018-03-09 at 13:26.

I have installed Dual Booting Kali Linux with Windows 7 . However, when I reformatted the Windows 7 drive to reinstall Windows10, my Kali Linux could not boot anymore. Healp me
    Thanks to all!
    Vietnamese teacher for foreigners by vietnamese typing and Unikey

@gotiengviet Provide more data. What error you are getting? Who is the OEM of your PC?

The GRUB loader everytime I install it it says bash:grub-install command not found even after the command apt-get install grub

hello everyone, I have installed kali on my 2nd ssd but it isn't bootable through UEFI boot system.
    on my 1st ssd I have win 7 + grub2.
    All works fine but only through grub I can choose which O.S start up.
    But now I'd like to make ssd with kali bootable, and than remove grub from my 1st ssd.
    can anyone suggest me some tutorial to do this without destroying the two O.S?
    thank you in advance.

You have done a great job on this article. It?s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. Thanks for Sharing

I'm sorry vbra, english is not my natural language.
    so I'll try to be clearer.

In my first drive /dev/sda1 I have Seven o.s. (it's a ssd disk).
    In my second drive (a new ssd disk) I have kali, partitioned as follow:
    /dev/sdb1 ext4
    /dev/sdb2 extended
    /dev/sdb5 linux-swap

Kali can only started through grub2, and this last is installed on the partition of first drive.
    If I try to start Kali from UEFI bios (canc+F8 keys) the screen is all black and the cursor remain blinking.
    Now, my questions are:
    1 Why isn't Kali on second disk bootable?
    2 How can I make it bootable?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Dual booting setups should always be preformed carefully, after you have preformed a full backup of all your important data. If you are unfamiliar with the instructions on Installing Kali Linux to hard disk, you should read that first to understand the general outline of the installation process. In this article we will we installing Kali Linux alongside an installation of Windows 7 which is currently taking up 100% of the disk space.

To read the full document, check our Dual booting Kali Linux with Windows article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.
    I like the Kali Linux operating system sometimes i use it to see data in windows

This is not a big problem, just use your alfa card and enjoy kali linux.

I have been battling with Kali Linux for 3 days and i cant find a fix anywhere so im going to turn to here i am having a issue with everything regarding downloading of Kali Linux i cant get to the GUI page when i try to it says one of the 3 kernel end process fatal end fill in the reset i forget the exact command if it is needed i can find it and post it here. now the other one is simulation error when i leave it to download the other one is even logged and it just does that forever. now when i do get into the GUI for Kali download it just freezes at some point during the installation i just cant fix this there is no video or forum with the same issues i have its not my PC im pretty sure and my flash drive is a San disk 16 GB so it has more than enough my specs are pretty good i have a desktop with more than enough compatibility to be able to run the 64 bit OS now what i cant understand why im having all these issues please someone HELP IM GOING TO PULL MY HAIR OUT!!!!

I got this error "Failed to determine codename for release."I abort the installation. Back to windows. Go to Disk Management. Delete the disk volume and set again the partition for Kali.I tried to go back to Kali installation via bootable device. But I got the same problem again. What should I do? Thanks so much

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all these solutions: I will just add that I had very less difficulties installling Kali on windows 10 than on my old laptop which runs windows 7.
    Anyway, thanks to all of you !

Perrine

thanks got the doc