Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual Booting Kali Linux with Windows 7

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dual Booting Kali Linux with Windows 7

Dual booting setups should always be preformed carefully, after you have preformed a full backup of all your important data. If you are unfamiliar with the instructions on Installing Kali Linux to hard disk, you should read that first to understand the general outline of the installation process. In this article we will we installing Kali Linux alongside an installation of Windows 7 which is currently taking up 100% of the disk space.

To read the full document, check our Dual booting Kali Linux with Windows article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

Hello,

I have two hard drive, one filled with windows 7, and one that I myself buy vien is blank is that Kali can I install it? There is no problem in aurra Grub or something else? Advice to give me? What os install first? Thank you for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

First I saved sensitive data in windows on an external drive. Then rebooted, poped in the iso-dvd and booted it as live.

Well inside of Kali I used gparted to resized my hdd as instucted. Saved and rebooted again.

This time I chose the graphical installation instead of live. Followed the instuctions as in the "Installation to Harddrive" with exception when it came to choosing partion as explained in "Dual booting with Windows".

The installation went fine uptil "use network mirrors" (not sure if the title is correct of that part of the installation). Here it wouldn't accept any of my choices on what mirror to use. Just returned to me as an error. So I just tried them all specific for my country and region. But still nothing. Then it hit me, maybe my wireless card was deactivated during this step. (still not sure?) Anyhow, in with the network cable and I rechose my firsthand mirror. And all continued as nothing had happend.

Later when it came to install grub. The installation prompted me and asked if any or all of my existing installed OS was present above: "Windows(vista loader), Windows(vista loader), and Windows(vista loader)". I think I didn't read carefully enough on this part and thought these name are surely correct. Everything else had been pretty much preset in the installation. Then the installation was complete and I was prompted to reboot. So I did.

Well booted up in grub these options were available to me: (Please note that I only have one Windows 7 installation)

*kali
    *kali recovery
    *windows (vista loader)
    *windows (vista loader)
    *windows (vista loader)

Ok, let's bring up windows I said to myself. I chose to top windows loader and : BLUE SCREEN. Small freakout and a automated reboot. I chose the second one and BS. Bigger freakout! Tried the third one and was presented with recovery. Hugely relieved. I chose the fix startup and 15 minutes later windows booted perfectly from the first loader option. Then rebooted and logged into kali, perfect boot.

So to sum up I now have three windows loaders: one for normal boot, second=beats me and third=recovery. I tried to change the name of the loaders in grub.cfg beacuse the it doesn't seemed to have a menu.lst but after reboot the change wouldn't be present. Still reading into how to fix the names and what the second windows loader is? But this was my story on troubles installing Kali. Hope it helps someone, and sorry it became longer then originally planned.

-Try screaming now and again, it will make people leave you alone. Best regards Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jakesumer View Post
    First I saved sensitive data in windows on an external drive. Then rebooted, poped in the iso-dvd and booted it as live.

Well inside of Kali I used gparted to resized my hdd as instucted. Saved and rebooted again.

This time I chose the graphical installation instead of live. Followed the instuctions as in the "Installation to Harddrive" with exception when it came to choosing partion as explained in "Dual booting with Windows".

The installation went fine uptil "use network mirrors" (not sure if the title is correct of that part of the installation). Here it wouldn't accept any of my choices on what mirror to use. Just returned to me as an error. So I just tried them all specific for my country and region. But still nothing. Then it hit me, maybe my wireless card was deactivated during this step. (still not sure?) Anyhow, in with the network cable and I rechose my firsthand mirror. And all continued as nothing had happend.

Later when it came to install grub. The installation prompted me and asked if any or all of my existing installed OS was present above: "Windows(vista loader), Windows(vista loader), and Windows(vista loader)". I think I didn't read carefully enough on this part and thought these name are surely correct. Everything else had been pretty much preset in the installation. Then the installation was complete and I was prompted to reboot. So I did.

Well booted up in grub these options were available to me: (Please note that I only have one Windows 7 installation)

*kali
    *kali recovery
    *windows (vista loader)
    *windows (vista loader)
    *windows (vista loader)

Ok, let's bring up windows I said to myself. I chose to top windows loader and : BLUE SCREEN. Small freakout and a automated reboot. I chose the second one and BS. Bigger freakout! Tried the third one and was presented with recovery. Hugely relieved. I chose the fix startup and 15 minutes later windows booted perfectly from the first loader option. Then rebooted and logged into kali, perfect boot.

So to sum up I now have three windows loaders: one for normal boot, second=beats me and third=recovery. I tried to change the name of the loaders in grub.cfg beacuse the it doesn't seemed to have a menu.lst but after reboot the change wouldn't be present. Still reading into how to fix the names and what the second windows loader is? But this was my story on troubles installing Kali. Hope it helps someone, and sorry it became longer then originally planned.

-Try screaming now and again, it will make people leave you alone. Best regards Jake
    Hello, i Have A BIG problem, yet not resolved... well i got the same things than you except the third option of windows i just ve got 2 options, the first one, it starts the windows 7 and gaves me the BSOD, then the second option just says that i need to rescue the system, well... i tryed to restore or repair the windows, but for my surprise theres no more recovery section it just ask for a Recovere CD.. and i dont have one... because i always used the recovery partition... now i dont have idea of what can i do to recover my windows 7... i dont have anything important, because is recently formated. but i want my OS windows back its really important... and now i dont know what to do...

...The installation went fine uptil "use network(edit:/software?) mirrors". Here it wouldn't accept any of my choices on what mirror to use. Just returned to me as an error. So I just tried them all, specific for my country and region. But still nothing. Then it hit me, maybe my wireless card was deactivated during this step?

(and)

...So to sum up I now have three windows loaders: one for normal boot, second=beats me and third=recovery. I tried to change the name of the loaders in grub.cfg beacuse the it doesn't seemed to have a menu.lst but after reboot the change wouldn't be present.
    Anybody know if wireless is unactive during mirror setting stage? And Any suggestions on how to fix grub. Rename the options. Is the problem so simple as there is a backup of grub-cfg that I need to remove after editing the file. Also I updated grub after editing the cfg.

Thanks

Anybody know if wireless is unactive during mirror setting stage? And Any suggestions on how to fix grub. Rename the options. Is the problem so simple as there is a backup of grub-cfg that I need to remove after editing the file. Also I updated grub after editing the cfg.

Thanks
    Jake, to my knowledge 99% of operating systems INCLUDING Win 7, don't support wireless networking when installing the OS (Win 7 might but it's been awhile so I cannot confirm), however; I do know it's great practice to have WAN disabled during OS install as it's not 100% reliable. It's hardwire or bust on that normally...You are correct in your understanding of why you couldn't reach the mirrors first go-around, it was because you weren't on the network.

As for the deal with your Grub loader....Each one of those "Loaders" you have, means there is some kind of MBR there for either an Operating System or One that was there, MBR's rarely get deleted. Grub detected them and took note of them, so instead of setting you up with a dual boot system, it kind of gave you the ability to have a quadruple boot. There is great commercial software that lets you fix and clean that **** up. I use it at my work, it's called "EasyBCD" URL: http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ It literally let's you arrange MBR's for all OS's like they were smarties to be eaten. You can clean up the MBR's, rename them, move them to different HD's etc... That's just what I use personally, take it with a grain of salt.

Funny Fact: Win 7 by default installs the MBR to the first "Hard Drive" listed in your BIOS and installs the Operating System wherever you told it too. I recently had to use Easy BCD to move my MBR to my SSD where my Win 7 OS was, because during Kali installation Grub pointed out to me that it was on my Sata III 500 GB Storage HD. Glad, I didn't decide to reformat that drive during the past year I've had my PC. Silly M$.
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2013-09-15 at 08:36. Reason: Remove foul language
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. ~ Shane Falco

Thank you Mistwraith!

I'll try this and get back to you on the grub-fix and EasyBCD.

I have not had the time to experiment within Kali with cleaning and customization/personalizing (excuse my spelling) these last couple of weeks. But now I have an excuse to get around to it.

Network Mirrors During Install

Thanks
    jakesumer,

To answer your question about wireless, it appears it's not active during the mirror setting stage. As for fixing the mirrors not being found problem, if you connect via ethernet cable and choose the option to add manually, you can add the mirrors from the following mirror list

http://http.kali.org/README.mirrorlist

Just put the full mirror name in the first box at the top, and /kali/ in the box at the bottom.

Cheers, hope this helps others that were in the same predicament as I.

9. Quote Originally Posted by RedForman View Post
    http://http.kali.org/README.mirrorlist
    Just put the full mirror name in the first box at the top, and /kali/ in the box at the bottom.
    Here's one from that link you supplied:
    http://ftp.belnet.be/kali/kali/README (be, prio 200)

So which part of that link above is the "mirror name"?

install went fine and now i'm booting the os for the first time and its asking me for a username and password but whenever I type anything in it says that authentication failed I don't remember being asked to give login credentials during the install, have I done something wrong?

I have that problem too. I try the password(toor) and the one at time of install. Nothing work. Had to get back to win7. The installation went smooth and wireless worked fine. I try to "kali" as username and "toor" but that fail too. Could use help here.

default username and password are root and toor respectively.. hope it helps

I would like to ask, if there is any reccomended way how to remove old OS (backtrack) from dual boot?

I have been searching on internet, but I found several guides with different ways how to do it, and im not sure which one should i use.

Quote Originally Posted by Swblk View Post
    I would like to ask, if there is any reccomended way how to remove old OS (backtrack) from dual boot?

I have been searching on internet, but I found several guides with different ways how to do it, and im not sure which one should i use.
    Hello Swblk

I can help you out on this and I can answer a few of the other questions here as well. When I started my Kali install on my dual booted machine I was surprised that my disc would not boot under GRUB; There must be some way but at this point I do not know. I did a work-around by booting into windows & erasing the BT5 r3 partitions. I did not format for obvious reasons; NTFS vs. EXT4 journaling. When that was completed the machine would not boot because the MBR was trashed so I booted my window 7 pro CD. (which booted fine.) I selected repair & then advanced options. In that screen I selected the DOS prompt & issued a bootrec /fixmbr & a bootrec /fixboot command and rebooted. Windows was back as usual. Be careful with letting the machine do an auto repair. I made that mistake today, forced the machine down, & had a helluva time getting the win 7 DVD to boot. The Kali disc wouldn't either at that point. OOF-DAH, don't do that IMO. I have a work-around for that too but I'm not going to get into it. After you do this work-around the Kali DVD will boot & and you can have at it.

As for wireless if you noticed in the prompts during networking you could select it. I used my normal ethernet myself but I'm pretty sure you could configurate the net adaptors at that point & use them; just watch for it. I cannot stress it enough to READ everything and not click away until you understand perfectly how Kali installs.

3rd question. Stop & read everything. Yes you were prompted to input a root password. maybe you clicked past it without inputting anything (if that's possible, I don't know.) Maybe it is NULL?

GL & HF I am.

daed

Quote Originally Posted by Swblk View Post

I was migrating over from.a similar dualboot, win7 & bt5. what I did is use the suggested usb installer, the first time I tried yumi, but that gave me live options only with no install options. then I used disk management in windows and deleted the partitions that had bt5. left it as unallicated space and booted off the usb. chose graphical install and followed the steps. when it got to partitioning, chose use the use unused space.

About the wireless card during the installation... My inbuild wireless card from the pc doesn't work during installation. However my alfa awus036H works perfectly during installaton

This is not a big problem, just use your alfa card and enjoy kali linux.

Question:
    I have an hp Pavilion dv7 running Win 7. Trying to install Kali as a dual boot following the instructions given, free up 30GB of space on the HD for install, but when I go through the process to use the "largest continuous free space", it chooses my USB stick from the Live Install. When I manually select the space I want to use, Kali says it's |unusable". I have 4 "Partitions" in total. Recovery, Win 7, HP_TOOLS, and "SYSTEM". Is it possible it's saying the 30GB of unallocated space is unusable because of the amount of partitions? Is there a way around this without trashing the recovery software (recovery and HP_TOOLS are both part of the "Recovery software")?

I am having a problem that when I try to dual boot my laptop, and install kali after windows 8, it shows the disk as whole disk without partition. But when I use kali withot installing, it shows all the files and again when I do gparted while running kali without installind, it shows as unlocated space. Please help me
    Thank you

Removing 'Windows Vista' entry from the boot menu.

Hello all. I am dual booting Kali Linux v1.07 with Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate on an Acer Travelmate 5744 laptop.

When I first installed the earlier versions of Kali, GRUB recognized the Win OS as 'Windows Vista' and that is how it was displayed in the boot menu.
    When I'd click on it, I'd get the message 'error: no argument specified'. Pressing the Enter key would bring me to Windows 7.
    However in the recent versions of Kali, this problem has been solved and GRUB recognizes the Win OS as 'Windows 7'.
    My problem is that since I've been dist-upgrading, both the 'Windows Vista' and 'Windows 7' entries appear in the boot menu.
    How can I remove the 'Windows Vista' entry from the boot menu? Any assistance would be helpful.

NVIDIA Graphics Issue...

Hey guys,

Get through the install just fine. I tried to upgrade the Nvidia drivers like the Kali.org docs say to do and there I am having problems. I get through all of this fine:

apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms

Once I type and enter this line:

sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub

It gave me an error like the sed wasn't there or available. So I did this:

update-grub
    reboot

It gives me the three options to load fine. Windows will load as normal, but once all the boot config launches, all I get is a black, blank screen with a blinking cursor. All I can do is reboot via ctrl-alt-del. I've waited for minutes thinking it just needed time to load up, but nothing.

Any Thoughts?

Jason S.

Hello All,

Sorry if someone has already asked this questions. I looked through the 4 pages and didn't see it asked. I did the dual boot with Kali and Windows 7. Got through the install no problem, and then I started the Nvidia graphics upgrade that the documentation says to do. I completed all of this:

apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms

On the next line, sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub it gave me an error. I don't remember what it was at this time, but it was something about sed being unavailable or not there. So I updated the "update-grub" and did the reboot command. Once it rebooted, I got the boot menu fine, but once it was done with all the (booting maybe) where all the instructions launch, I just get the blinking cursor. Nothing I can do brings up anything. I am able to boot to Windows fine though.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks in Advance,

Jason

HI, Guys ....... My problem is that i reently installed Kali Linux on my pc (single boot) and now i want to install windows on my pc .......when i made a bootable drive for windows and started installing it it says windows cannot be instaled as it requires a NTFS drive ,So my question is how do i mange my partitions in kali linux and create a NTFS drive,Thanks in Advance

Quote Originally Posted by Udbhav8 View Post
    HI, Guys ....... My problem is that i reently installed Kali Linux on my pc (single boot) and now i want to install windows on my pc .......when i made a bootable drive for windows and started installing it it says windows cannot be instaled as it requires a NTFS drive ,So my question is how do i mange my partitions in kali linux and create a NTFS drive,Thanks in Advance
    In this scenario it better and easier first install Windows and after that Kali linux.

My issue was SOLVED!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by @root; 2015-06-15 at 15:35.

Hi guys first post here, i hope i haven't missed a similar post with an answer but I am having terrible trouble with the install, all seems to go perfectly fine, partitioned the swap 3gb and the installation completed once the system restarts it just goes back to windows, no sign of Grub even though it was said to have installed. i have scoured the net and tried installations about 15 times to no avail. would be great of anyone could explain to me why i cant seem to get any kind of boot option for Kali. I'm testing the install on a asus x55c standard basic config.

Quote Originally Posted by Brackenwood View Post
    Hi guys first post here, i hope i haven't missed a similar post with an answer but I am having terrible trouble with the install, all seems to go perfectly fine, partitioned the swap 3gb and the installation completed once the system restarts it just goes back to windows, no sign of Grub even though it was said to have installed. i have scoured the net and tried installations about 15 times to no avail. would be great of anyone could explain to me why i cant seem to get any kind of boot option for Kali. I'm testing the install on a asus x55c standard basic config.
    this problems is related to your iso files kali image. download another kali iso img (32 or 64 depends of your system) and preform SHA1Sum check is it OK. If it is not ok, download another one. After that make boot USB or CD and install Kali linux.
    or the second problem could be at your kali partition. wipe it and try again instalation
    Last edited by duxim; 2015-08-08 at 16:06.

Question

Hi there
    I tried dual booting Kali and win 10 and partitioned some space for Kali in won 10

But when I boot to Kali installation rather then showing me unlocated partition of 107 GB
    it's shows me combination of my D and E drive which is of 827 GB I tried to partition it but
    I corrupted my window any help I installed Windows again

So PLZ tell me what i do ?

Quote Originally Posted by Royal.Ninja View Post
    Hi there
    I tried dual booting Kali and win 10 and partitioned some space for Kali in won 10

But when I boot to Kali installation rather then showing me unlocated partition of 107 GB
    it's shows me combination of my D and E drive which is of 827 GB I tried to partition it but
    I corrupted my window any help I installed Windows again

So PLZ tell me what i do ?
    In a partitioning method while installation, installer asks you which method do you want to choose:
    Guided-use entire disk
    Guided-use entire disk and choose LVM
    Guided-use entire disk and set up encrypted LVM
    Manual

which one are you choosing?

Problem with wireless card in Windows and Audio Volume in Kali.

I've installed a dual boot Kali 2016.2 successfully along side windows 7. I worked in both and they were fine (Except the 2nd issue.). Until I put a update in Kali. I've the below issues.

1. After the update, I'm not getting my wireless card to work in Windows. My windows 7 detects my wireless device in device manager. I've reinstalled, disabled/enabled the wireless device, but of no use. "ipconfig" shows that media disconnected. I've added NETDOWN='no' in "/etc/default/halt", but of no effect.

2. The maximum volume in Kali is much lower than that of windows (Both the inbuilt speaker and with an earphone). So to watch a properly ripped video, I have to login to windows, watch it and switch back to kali.

One more thing, I currently have the default graphics driver nouveau. Since I've dual graphics, I want to try the bumblebee. Is there anything I should know or be careful of, before proceeding to that? As I've read at many places, that after installing the nVidia drivers, they were not able to login to their Linux.

System Details:
    Lenovo Z50-70
    Core i5, 12 GB RAM, 2GB nVidia 820M along with Intel HD graphics.

Here's the output of "lspci"

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 0b)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
    00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 0b)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev e4)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev e4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
    03:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev a1)

Quote Originally Posted by ratdon View Post
    I've installed a dual boot Kali 2016.2 successfully along side windows 7. I worked in both and they were fine (Except the 2nd issue.). Until I put a update in Kali. I've the below issues.

1. After the update, I'm not getting my wireless card to work in Windows. My windows 7 detects my wireless device in device manager. I've reinstalled, disabled/enabled the wireless device, but of no use. "ipconfig" shows that media disconnected. I've added NETDOWN='no' in "/etc/default/halt", but of no effect.

2. The maximum volume in Kali is much lower than that of windows (Both the inbuilt speaker and with an earphone). So to watch a properly ripped video, I have to login to windows, watch it and switch back to kali.

One more thing, I currently have the default graphics driver nouveau. Since I've dual graphics, I want to try the bumblebee. Is there anything I should know or be careful of, before proceeding to that? As I've read at many places, that after installing the nVidia drivers, they were not able to login to their Linux.

System Details:
    Lenovo Z50-70
    Core i5, 12 GB RAM, 2GB nVidia 820M along with Intel HD graphics.

Here's the output of "lspci"

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 0b)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
    00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 0b)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev e4)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev e4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
    03:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev a1)
    1. I think there is no connection of kali with your windows while accessing your wifi driver. There might be some other reasons due to which your wireless is not working.
    2. For speaker i am not sure about the solution but may be you should play with alsa tools or you can configure it through HDAJackRetask.
    3. You get the nouveau driver by default in linux and after that if you want to install nvidia drivers than here is the link you can follow.https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...Optimus-laptop .

I am using nvidia in my lenovo Y50 with the help of this guide and its working fine with regular updates.
    I hope this will help

please clue me just finished installing linux on my laptop's time 2 win 10 and time booting linux, the installation went smoothly until the finish. and when I enter the root user name and password paswornya according to which I made when installing. but do not want to get into the linux desktop time. that there is only silver appearance but did not break in time desktop linux .. please guide. thank you

Hello. I had 3 attempts to install at first backtrack then kali. I seem to have a constant problem : when trying to make a dual boot , the installer thinks my whole hard drive is empty. I've tried win7 with backtrack -64 bit win8 with backtrack and now win8 with kali. Why is this happening?

I have kali linux and windows 7 on dual boot. they both work fine, however slightly annoying is when i switch the machine i i get Grub : “error: no argument specified” when i select the windows intstall. i then have to press any key to continue. how do i fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by cobblerschris View Post
    I have kali linux and windows 7 on dual boot. they both work fine, however slightly annoying is when i switch the machine i i get Grub : “error: no argument specified” when i select the windows intstall. i then have to press any key to continue. how do i fix this?
    I have this exact same problem. I have grub automatically select my win7 os and after 8 seconds boot win7 unless I intervene and select Kali, which means I have to hang around and press the keyboard each time I boot, kind of defeats the point. Not a massive issue of course but a nuisance none the less. Is there anything I can do to solve this issue please?

Olá, vou citar meu problema. Ao tentar instalar em um notebook ( 4G RAM, Chipset Sis M672, Intel pentium) só me dá a mensagem a seguir, ja tentei todas as versões do kali possiveis, meu computador possui windows seven x64. Obrigado pela ajuda.

Erro: [0.000000] tsc:Fast TSC calibration failed

[1.763939] registered taskstats version 1

Hello, I will quote my problem. When trying to install on a notebook (4G RAM, Sis M672 Chipset, Intel pentium) only gives me the following message, already tried all possible versions of kali, my computer has windows seven x64. Thanks for the trouble.

[0.000000] tsc:Fast TSC calibration failed

[1.763939] registered taskstats version 1
    Last edited by unlock; 2013-10-19 at 13:32.

Hi !

I try to install Kali along Windows 7 on the same partition. I follow a YouTube tutorial from Kali but when boot Kali and go to partitioning step, give me: 'Unusable partition ' and cannot install Kali on that partition.. Help.?
    Last edited by maiki; 2016-10-11 at 12:07. Reason: Remove YouTube link

Hello guys i need your help,i follow instructions from dual boot but when i am at livecd and trying with gparted to part my hard disk i cant,i have 4 partitions one SYSTEM,one RECOVERY,one HP_TOOLS and one with a warning next it,the problem is that the one partition with the warning next to it is the450GB hard disk and the other are like some GBs and MBs...how can i partition my hard disk and dual boot with windows7?

cobblerschris, thephoenix25

I have same problem and i find (in internet, of course) way to fix it:
    we need to edit file etc\grub.d\30_otheros

we can find string like this: search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 180c9d7e0c9d5798
    and change it like this: search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 180c9d7e0c9d5798

Then run command "sudo update-grub" and error is gone.

Hi,

I am new here, and I have successfully installed Dual Boot Windows 7 and Kali.
    I used a bootable USB with the Kali image (DVD Rom is not working)
    But after the successful installation of Kali,I am unable to boot to my old Windows 7.

I get this error message:

got this error message:
    “Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert Windows installation disk (etc)
    2. Choose language settings
    3. Click “Repair your computer”
    "

Any ideas? Do I need to find a Windows installation Disk?

Quote Originally Posted by aizonic View Post
    Hi,

I am new here, and I have successfully installed Dual Boot Windows 7 and Kali.
    I used a bootable USB with the Kali image (DVD Rom is not working)
    But after the successful installation of Kali,I am unable to boot to my old Windows 7.

I get this error message:

got this error message:
    “Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert Windows installation disk (etc)
    2. Choose language settings
    3. Click “Repair your computer”
    "

Any ideas? Do I need to find a Windows installation Disk?
    Read up the thread. Someone has fixed this issue. As for people trying to multiboot on say an HP laptop with factory setup. Here is a quote from a simple google search: "With MBR, you only get 4 primary partitions, and then you must create logical partitions after that, which is frustrating and isn't compatible with certain operating systems." And for Windows 8, it uses a new more secure GUI boot. Duel booting Win7 & 8 is a headache on it's own. If your really set on installing Kali. Make recovery discs on said laptops using given tools by the company or Acronis software, then reformat the whole drive. Set up partitions FIRST. Clean install Windows (Google it), then install Kali using a WIRED connection to your router. OK, I think that solves most the issues I've read. Sorry if it didn't help you.

Morning Lads and Lasses,

Would greatly appreciate getting a bit of help with this.

While installing everything seems to go fine but the installation process hangs when it reaches the installation report phase, if I reboot the install appears not to have gone through.

I'm running windows 7 on an HDD and am trying to install Kali on an SSD, I've tried installing with an image on a CD and on a USB and the result has been the same.

Cheers

Hello all, New to Kali here. I am haveing a problem with dual booting my Windows 7/ Kali Linux grub. I have both OSes installed fine but when I boot into Windows 7 I get an "error no argument specified" error, and "press enter to continue". After I press enter Windows 7 boots and everything is fine. My questions are; Why am I getting this error?, and, Is there a way I can fix it? Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDiegoRob View Post
    Hello all, New to Kali here. I am haveing a problem with dual booting my Windows 7/ Kali Linux grub. I have both OSes installed fine but when I boot into Windows 7 I get an "error no argument specified" error, and "press enter to continue". After I press enter Windows 7 boots and everything is fine. My questions are; Why am I getting this error?, and, Is there a way I can fix it? Please help!
    Can`t you read? Try to do that. 1 post up...

Question:

In reference to dual booting with kali, where can I find documentation about dual booting kali with BT5 r3 already installed? I appreciate any suggestion about this operation but I am really looking for documentation about it. Further, would this documentation work for dual booting kali and bt5 r3?
    Every ethical hacker must have a place to practice and explore.

Quote Originally Posted by yunqhero View Post
    Question:

In reference to dual booting with kali, where can I find documentation about dual booting kali with BT5 r3 already installed? I appreciate any suggestion about this operation but I am really looking for documentation about it. Further, would this documentation work for dual booting kali and bt5 r3?
    I like this idea! There seems to be a large population of users in this situation that are encountering issues. The guide only offers a model that does not fit everyones scenario.

Hihi everyone.

Got a problem too, I just installed Kali in Dualboot with Windows 7 and now I can't have any sound when I boot windows and I only have sound when I boot with Kali if I plug external speakers (like headphones). Any ideas???

Thanks for the help.

Hello,

I am having some difficulty installing Kali on my windows 7 laptop. I have resized the partition and freed up about 45gb for the install i have 3 primary partitions on the disk due to recovery hibernation and OS that came standard with the xps laptop.

I can get all the way to the point of partitioning and choosing the mount points in the install. When i try and setup /boot / and swap it tells me it is unable to mount / at sda partition #5 using the ext4 file system.

I have tried ext3 and ext2 to try and get around this. everytime i get the same error message.

Has anyone else seen this problem. also note that i have used grub to try and create each individual partition i will need for the install and format them to the ext4 file system and when i attempt to install and select mount points i get the same error message.

please advise thanks
    Evan

Hi all, please help. When installing kali linux, namely when it comes to checking the network equipment laptop freezes (stops installation) and then nothing happens. In what may be the Problem? Laptop Lenovo v580c. Did everything according to the instructions on the site docs.kali.org/installation/dual-boot-kali-with-windows

Hello,
    I'm new user of kali linux.
    So, I have a query in my mind.
    Which option I have to choose while installing so that my Windows 8 is totally is replaced by kali linux as primary os without affecting other drives?