Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual Booting Kali Linux with Windows 7

Network Mirrors During Install

Quote Originally Posted by jakesumer View Post
    Anybody know if wireless is unactive during mirror setting stage? And Any suggestions on how to fix grub. Rename the options. Is the problem so simple as there is a backup of grub-cfg that I need to remove after editing the file. Also I updated grub after editing the cfg.

Thanks
    jakesumer,

To answer your question about wireless, it appears it's not active during the mirror setting stage. As for fixing the mirrors not being found problem, if you connect via ethernet cable and choose the option to add manually, you can add the mirrors from the following mirror list

http://http.kali.org/README.mirrorlist

Just put the full mirror name in the first box at the top, and /kali/ in the box at the bottom.

Cheers, hope this helps others that were in the same predicament as I.

Quote Originally Posted by Swblk View Post
    I would like to ask, if there is any reccomended way how to remove old OS (backtrack) from dual boot?

I have been searching on internet, but I found several guides with different ways how to do it, and im not sure which one should i use.
    Hello Swblk

I can help you out on this and I can answer a few of the other questions here as well. When I started my Kali install on my dual booted machine I was surprised that my disc would not boot under GRUB; There must be some way but at this point I do not know. I did a work-around by booting into windows & erasing the BT5 r3 partitions. I did not format for obvious reasons; NTFS vs. EXT4 journaling. When that was completed the machine would not boot because the MBR was trashed so I booted my window 7 pro CD. (which booted fine.) I selected repair & then advanced options. In that screen I selected the DOS prompt & issued a bootrec /fixmbr & a bootrec /fixboot command and rebooted. Windows was back as usual. Be careful with letting the machine do an auto repair. I made that mistake today, forced the machine down, & had a helluva time getting the win 7 DVD to boot. The Kali disc wouldn't either at that point. OOF-DAH, don't do that IMO. I have a work-around for that too but I'm not going to get into it. After you do this work-around the Kali DVD will boot & and you can have at it.

As for wireless if you noticed in the prompts during networking you could select it. I used my normal ethernet myself but I'm pretty sure you could configurate the net adaptors at that point & use them; just watch for it. I cannot stress it enough to READ everything and not click away until you understand perfectly how Kali installs.

3rd question. Stop & read everything. Yes you were prompted to input a root password. maybe you clicked past it without inputting anything (if that's possible, I don't know.) Maybe it is NULL?

GL & HF I am.

daed

Hello. I had 3 attempts to install at first backtrack then kali. I seem to have a constant problem : when trying to make a dual boot , the installer thinks my whole hard drive is empty. I've tried win7 with backtrack -64 bit win8 with backtrack and now win8 with kali. Why is this happening?

I have kali linux and windows 7 on dual boot. they both work fine, however slightly annoying is when i switch the machine i i get Grub : “error: no argument specified” when i select the windows intstall. i then have to press any key to continue. how do i fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by cobblerschris View Post
    I have kali linux and windows 7 on dual boot. they both work fine, however slightly annoying is when i switch the machine i i get Grub : “error: no argument specified” when i select the windows intstall. i then have to press any key to continue. how do i fix this?
    I have this exact same problem. I have grub automatically select my win7 os and after 8 seconds boot win7 unless I intervene and select Kali, which means I have to hang around and press the keyboard each time I boot, kind of defeats the point. Not a massive issue of course but a nuisance none the less. Is there anything I can do to solve this issue please?

Olá, vou citar meu problema. Ao tentar instalar em um notebook ( 4G RAM, Chipset Sis M672, Intel pentium) só me dá a mensagem a seguir, ja tentei todas as versões do kali possiveis, meu computador possui windows seven x64. Obrigado pela ajuda.

Erro: [0.000000] tsc:Fast TSC calibration failed

[1.763939] registered taskstats version 1

Hello, I will quote my problem. When trying to install on a notebook (4G RAM, Sis M672 Chipset, Intel pentium) only gives me the following message, already tried all possible versions of kali, my computer has windows seven x64. Thanks for the trouble.

[0.000000] tsc:Fast TSC calibration failed

[1.763939] registered taskstats version 1
    Last edited by unlock; 2013-10-19 at 01:32 PM.

Hi !

I try to install Kali along Windows 7 on the same partition. I follow a YouTube tutorial from Kali but when boot Kali and go to partitioning step, give me: 'Unusable partition ' and cannot install Kali on that partition.. Help.?
    Last edited by maiki; 2016-10-11 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Remove YouTube link

Quote Originally Posted by Swblk View Post
    I would like to ask, if there is any reccomended way how to remove old OS (backtrack) from dual boot?

I have been searching on internet, but I found several guides with different ways how to do it, and im not sure which one should i use.
    I was migrating over from.a similar dualboot, win7 & bt5. what I did is use the suggested usb installer, the first time I tried yumi, but that gave me live options only with no install options. then I used disk management in windows and deleted the partitions that had bt5. left it as unallicated space and booted off the usb. chose graphical install and followed the steps. when it got to partitioning, chose use the use unused space.

Hello guys i need your help,i follow instructions from dual boot but when i am at livecd and trying with gparted to part my hard disk i cant,i have 4 partitions one SYSTEM,one RECOVERY,one HP_TOOLS and one with a warning next it,the problem is that the one partition with the warning next to it is the450GB hard disk and the other are like some GBs and MBs...how can i partition my hard disk and dual boot with windows7?

cobblerschris, thephoenix25

I have same problem and i find (in internet, of course) way to fix it:
    we need to edit file etc\grub.d\30_otheros

we can find string like this: search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 180c9d7e0c9d5798
    and change it like this: search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 180c9d7e0c9d5798

Then run command "sudo update-grub" and error is gone.