Thread: Terminal font and size will not change

Terminal font and size will not change

Latest Kali version, the terminal font and font size will not allow me to change from fira code 10. I have kali on other devices and changing font and text has never been an issue before. I can open preferences and try selecting a different font and size, but when I click ok it doesnt actually update to the new font, just keeps showing fira code 10 as the selected font. I tried changing the settings under appearance but that didnt have any effect. I can use a different terminal emulator, but I actually kind of like the default terminal. Interestingly, there are only about 14 fonts to choose from, and fira code isn't listed as an option in the terminal menu, even though every time I try to change font it defaults back to fira code 10.

Any suggestions?

The problem is with `QTerminal` :

Follow the steps indicated below:
    [1] Goto ~/.config/qterminal.org folder[2] Change fontFamily to Fira Code and exit.
    [3] All set, remember don't use Qterminal to do the above steps, otherwise changes wont take place
    [4] Either use mate-terminal or do it with GUI editor.

@ lucifer_morning_star
    Hi

I've been having the same issue here - the latest Kali 2020.3.
    The solution provided by you did not work in my case. Any other ideas?

Thanks

a rather dim lightbringer...

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer_morning_star View Post
    The problem is with `QTerminal` :

Follow the steps indicated below:
    [1] Goto ~/.config/qterminal.org folder[2] Change fontFamily to Fira Code and exit.
    [3] All set, remember don't use Qterminal to do the above steps, otherwise changes wont take place
    [4] Either use mate-terminal or do it with GUI editor.

This is all well and good but why in the **** doesn't the preferences within qterminal allow updates?
    That's the REAL question...

-Ghethro

I've got the same problem. Fresh installed Kali Linux VMWare 64bit Image 2020.3. FontFamily was already set to Fira Code.

Quote Originally Posted by ghethro View Post
    This is all well and good but why in the **** doesn't the preferences within qterminal allow updates?

-Ghethro
    Ahh the answer to that question would be that it is a .INI file located within root directory. Simply put, every time you change the font and size, root reads that .ini file and says no no says here I'm running with Fira Code 10 point thanks tho.

So to fix, follow what Lucifer said.

While logged in as root...
    Navigate to file system.(icon on desktop)
    DoubleClick root (has a house on the folder icon)
    DoubleClick .config
    DoubleClick qterminal.org
    DoubleClick qterminal.ini

You are now editing the config file for qterminal (BE CAREFUL AND DONT DELETE ANYTHING YOU COULD END UP WITHOUT A CLIPBOARD FOR STORING DATA FOR COPY PASTE.)

Under general near the bottom you'll find font family. You can change this to any of the supported fonts you find in the dropdown on the preferences menu that was giving you trouble to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by ghethro View Post

-Ghethro
    You can leave the values blank and it will work the exact way you want it to. Allowing you to update the font and size through the preferences menu.

qterminal in Kali 2020.3 is old 0.14.1 and latest version which is also 5 months old but not available in Kali don't know why and all these bugs are fixed in qterminal 0.15.0
    Check this issue i reported but according to qterminal this is responsibilty of Kali
    https://github.com/lxqt/qterminal/issues/705

Provide Latest version of qterminal 0.15.0 as soon as Possible for Kali.

'Qterminal is a buggy one'.
    I would suggest use, some well known old terminal emulators, like gnome-terminal, konsole, terminator, alacrity, st, urxvt.
    Exploit Code Not People!

Quote Originally Posted by Codex_ View Post
    You can leave the values blank and it will work the exact way you want it to. Allowing you to update the font and size through the preferences menu.
    I too have this problem. I left the values blank and I am still unable to change the font or font size via the GUI terminal preferences, appearance menu selections. I am running Kali 2020.3 on an Oracle VirtualBox.

On my 2020.2 cloud hosted VM, I am able to change the terminal preferences without issue.

Open to any other ideas.

Update:
    On my 2020.3 Kali, When editing the ~/.config/qterminal.org/qterminal.ini file as described above, I set fontFamily=Bistream Vera San Mono. I was then able to SUCCESSFULLY use the File>Preference>Appearance menu and select other listed fonts and font sizes, and successfully apply them to the terminal. Fire Coda is NOT one of the choices in the GUI. When editing the config file and using fontFamily=Fire Coda or leaving it blank, the terminal font could could not modified from preferences; the bad behavior returned.

On my 2020.2 cloud hosted Kali, I am able to modify the font and font size, regardless of the value of the fontFamily, even when it is set to Fire Coda or blank. Fire Coda is also not a choice in the GUI preference menu.

Looks like this new bug/fature was reported at this link: https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=6685

Note in that link that also changing fontFamily=FireCoda will also restore terminal preferences to expected behavior. FireCoda (no space). Lots of discussion at the bug link.

Quote Originally Posted by Codex_ View Post
    I can confirm that the update mentioned in the bug report site will resolve this problem: https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=6685

1. I downloaded the 4.1 package from: http://http.kali.org/pool/main/k/kal...20.4.1_all.deb

Codex_

I went ahead and posted a bug report since using a null value or any invalid value will no longer work in the .ini file. It worked in 2020.2, but not in 2020.3. I got a response already.

See bug report and response here: https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=6727

Bottom Line, the .ini file fontFamily must have a valid value now. The update fixed the terminal to correctly look for Fire Cuda and not FireCuda (no space). The real issue is with the Qt library which is not within Kali team's scope to fix.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kalipadawan View Post
    Codex_

I went ahead and posted a bug report since using a null value or any invalid value will no longer work in the .ini file. It worked in 2020.2, but not in 2020.3. I got a response already.

See bug report and response here: https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=6727

Bottom Line, the .ini file fontFamily must have a valid value now. The update fixed the terminal to correctly look for Fire Cuda and not FireCuda (no space). The real issue is with the Qt library which is not within Kali team's scope to fix.
    Thank you, removing the space fixed it! Then I could replace it with a another font in the gui.

Thank you it works well <3