Thread: An installation step failed - Kali Linux 2020.2

An installation step failed - Kali Linux 2020.2

" An installation step failed. You can try to run the failing item again from the menu, or skip it and choose something else. The failing step is: select and install software "

Hi everyone!
    I faced this ☝🏻 error while doing fresh installation of Kali 2020.2 on VirtualBox. Tried re-installing the system but no luck.

Solution:
    How did I resolve the problem???
    I simply skipped the installation step "Select and Install the Software" and moved on with GRUB installation. Installation was successfully completed though two issues remained there (As I skipped the installation step) which are;

1) No desktop environment was present
    2) No applications were present.

I logged into (which was single user mode - CLI) the VM as core / base packages were installed before installation step failed. So, to resolve above-mentioned issues, I executed following command;

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kali-desktop-xfce
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kali-linux-default
    Trust me it?s going to take a lot of time 😴 (or at least that was the case for me) but that works .

Thanks!

I faced the same problem, and all I had to do was install the default installation files. Turns out, I wasn't connected to the internet. Skip the other stuff and it works like a charm!