Thread: Kali Linux problems as a second operating system: interface and network adapter unrecognition

Kali Linux problems as a second operating system: interface and network adapter unrecognition

Hello!I recently installed Kali Linux as a second operating system (the first is Windows 10) according to the instructions.(https://hackware.ru/?p=6360 - Similar instructions). Next, I needed to configure my network adapter (AWUS036AC with Realtek RTL8812AU chipset) on my Kali Linux (Since the network adapter worked on Windows 10 without any comments and driver installations).After repeated and unsuccessful attempts to install the drivers on the network adapter (again, according to various instructions - here's an example: https://**********6Vs0GH9oxSs), I came to the conclusion that most likely it is a wired connection. Some unusual interface: The Wired icon is not displayed in the upper right corner, as well as the settings icon to customize the whole thing.

Only the Wi-fi network icon is displayed. Ifconfig doesn't show Eth0. I also notice that usb works strangely: When the mouse is connected before Kali is loaded, it works, if during operation the mouse is disconnected from usb and turned back on, the mouse does not respond.

In one of the ways to install drivers, after the make command, the terminal gives an error:error: ?_timer? {aka ?struct timer_list?} has no member named ?data? 254 | ptimer->data = (unsigned long)cntx;
    | ^~
    error: ?_timer? {aka ?struct timer_list?} has no member named ?data?
    254 | ptimer->data = (unsigned long)cntx;
    | ^~
    | ^~
    make[1]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-5.7.0-kali1-common/Makefile:180: sub-make] Ошибка 2
    make[1]: выход из каталога ?/usr/src/linux-headers-5.7.0-kali1-amd64?
    make: *** [Makefile:1051: modules] Ошибка 2

If you have any suggestions, please write. Thank.There was only one error during installation: Missing firmware file: regulatory.db. I ignored this problem.Hello!I recently installed Kali Linux as a second operating system (the first is Windows 10) according to the instructions.(https://hackware.ru/?p=6360 - Similar instructions).There was only one error during installation: Missing firmware file: regulatory.db. I ignored this problem.

Regulatory db can be ignored.

As for your driver - have you tried the package we have already? That device should be covered by realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms - do note, that wifi card isn't the most stable or recommended, but the driver as packaged should work.

Yes, I installed this driver, but it did not help. I think the problem is that I don't have an eth0 connection. There are only hwsim0, wlan0 and lo. I don't quite understand what hwsim0 is

Quote Originally Posted by Vovan View Post
    Yes, I installed this driver, but it did not help. I think the problem is that I don't have an eth0 connection. There are only hwsim0, wlan0 and lo. I don't quite understand what hwsim0 is
    hwsim0 = first hardware simulator device
    wlan0 = first wireless device
    lo = localhost only device

eth0 is an ethernet connector, not a wireless device.

Other problem

Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    hwsim0 = first hardware simulator device
    wlan0 = first wireless device
    lo = localhost only device

eth0 is an ethernet connector, not a wireless device.
    Ultrabooks don't make an ethernet port. Understood. Thank.
    Also, the usb wifi-adapter is still not displayed in KaliLinux, and in Windows 10 it is displayed without problems without installing drivers. I tried to install drivers for the adapter from github, but
    In one of the ways to install drivers, after the make command, the terminal gives an error:

| ^~
    make[1]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-5.7.0-kali1-common/Makefile:180: sub-make] Ошибка 2
    make[1]: выход из каталога ?/usr/src/linux-headers-5.7.0-kali1-amd64?
    make: *** [Makefile:1051: modules] Ошибка 2

I would suggest using the package i mentioned previously. Also make sure you're using the correct branch. Kernel headers change, and this sounds like there is an incompatibility with that version of the driver you're trying to compile

Unfortunately, it would seem whatever driver you're using isn't compatible with 5.7; You should be using the realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms package in kali, but it will require either using a different wifi adapter, or a usb to ethernet since you mention you don't have ethernet.  I'd highly recommend a different wifi device, the 8812au devices are not very good.