Thread: Kali Terminal not recognizing Pau05 wireless USB via dongle

Question Kali Terminal not recognizing Pau05 wireless USB via dongle

I'm trying the command airmon-ng to mess around with my wifi and the wireless card doesn't come up when I do. If it makes a difference, I am using a 2019 MacBook and the Panda wireless card is connected over a USB-C dongle. Also the kali version is the latest, as well as the latest virtual box.

Same issue... Kali V2020.3 64 bit on Win10 doesn't recognize PAUO5 USB

Quote Originally Posted by sbradley292 View Post
    I'm trying the command airmon-ng to mess around with my wifi and the wireless card doesn't come up when I do. If it makes a difference, I am using a 2019 MacBook and the Panda wireless card is connected over a USB-C dongle. Also the kali version is the latest, as well as the latest virtual box.
    Hi,

Same issue...

root@kali:~# airmon-ng does not show the adapter info...

2020-09-14 19_58_45-Kali-Linux-2020.1-vbox-amd64-01 (B4 testing Tee command) [Running] - Oracle .jpg

Did the screen grabs with Greenshot and it looks like they pasted too small to read. Do'h... click on them to enlarge.

Using latest Oracle VM VirtualBox (v6.1.12 r139181) with Extension Pack installed. Win10 64 bit host has 16 GB Ram, Intel i7-8550U at 2 GHz.

I did configure the VM for USB 3.0 and set up the Panda as Adapter2...

2020-09-14 20_15_11-Kali-Linux-2020.1-vbox-amd64-01 - Settings.jpg

I tried a variety of troubleshooting steps. The Panda works great in Windows. I tried with both WiFi adapters on the host running. I tried with the built-in WiFi on the host disabled. I tried installing the Panda driver from the CD on the host, even though it didn't seem to need it in Windows on the host. Updated my Linux from an earlier version, no joy.

Any guidance is appreciated. I will also reach out to Panda.

Regards
    -Mark

Panda was very responsive. The tech made several suggestions but none were good fits for me (i.e. use a USB direct boot to Kali, try Kali in a VMware VM, etc.). I did have a Raspberry Pi4 running Kali, the Panda PAU05 adapter is a plug and play device on Raspberry Pi 4 and it booted right up and worked flawlessly in Kali. I was very impressed and will probably just use the Panda on my RPi4. It is a lot nicer than trying to run in the OracleBox VM with so many configuration settings involved.