Thread: Nexus 5 or Nexus 6p

Nexus 5 or Nexus 6p

Hi,

I read that Nexus 5 and Nexus 6p support both monitor mode and packet injection on their internal wifi chips. As a computer science student I would like to learn and practice Nethunter, but i'm not able to decide which of these two phones to buy.

Nexus 6p has better specifications (runs lineage os atm, larger screen, better battery, camera, storage), but it has a bootloop issue and I'm not sure whether this has been solved. Moreover I read that Nexus 5 is better than Nexus 6p in monitor mode and packet injection.

Could you please comment which of these phones has better injection support on the internal wifi chip? And which phone has likely more long-term and stable support with Nethunter?

I hope one of the developers can reply or maybe someone else who knows.
    Thanks!

p.s. i'm not able to find a OnePlus 1/2/3, they do not seem to be available here

I have a Nexus 6p running LineageOS 17.1 and NetHunter. It works great! I have used kismet with monitor mode on he internal WiFi, and it seems to be Okay. I have not tried packet injection yet, but I see no reason why it wouldn’t work. I use it more with an OTG cable and an Alfa 036ACH USB card for it’s dual-band 802.11AC support in monitor mode. I had to grab an extra module from Magisk Manager to get the USB WiFi card to work, but that wasn’t a big deal. I am looking to replace the outside of my 6p, since the touchscreen is cracked and the housing is bent up pretty badly. The battery doesn’t hold more than a half-hour’s charge, so I’ll probably replace that.