Thread: Question about terminal

Question about terminal

I am completely new with Kali. Just a few days that i use it now. Although i have set up some things already.
    But when i open the terminal i see ~$ And i have succesfully done a few things. But with lots of commands i see ~#
    So my question is how to change the $ to the #. And what do these signs mean anyways ?

Michel445:
    Fore-mostly you should learn the basic of Linux operating system and commands.
    $ sign is for regular users
    # sign is for root users in other words the administrator.
    There are so many commands which a regular user cannot perform, like installing tools on the machine, making changes to critical parts of the operating system like, disk partitions etc.. you should be a root user to perform those actions. I must advice you to first get basic of the *nix OS.
    Exploit Code Not People!

$ lacks root privileges

sudo su enables root privileges and $ is replaced by # (which is what you want)

Thanks Hackuin!

Learning lots here.

Thank you for your information. I am slowly learning. The sudo su command i use regularly now.

If you want to quickly elevate your privilege you can do 'su' for 'super-user' and input the root password.
    Though if you're going to be experimenting with commands requiring these elevated privileges I would also recommend you get more acquainted with these general types of bash commands first.
    --------
    Yes, I'm a newb. But we were all newbs once.