Thread: Install Kali from usb to usb

Install Kali from usb to usb

Hi,

I want to install Kali to a removable disk (USB stick or USB external disk) without changing the MBR of the single hdd inside my Dell optiplex 960. So what I did:

Downloaded and made a install usb (not live). Let's say it USB-A.
    Booted from USB-A with selecting it from BIOS and made the installation of Kali in the other USB (lets say it USB-B).
    All gone ok, installation finished and asked me for GRUB install. I choose to install it in the USB-B (as I don't want to put it in the hdd.

The problem is that the system then, cannot boot to Kali if i choose to boot from usb in BIOS (I removed of course the USB-A).

Any ideas? What I'm doing wrong?

Hi,
    Something similar happens to me, I install it and when I have to choose the grub, I always install it in the live unit even if I tell it where to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by Axrst View Post
    Hi,

I want to install Kali to a removable disk (USB stick or USB external disk) without changing the MBR of the single hdd inside my Dell optiplex 960. So what I did:

Downloaded and made a install usb (not live). Let's say it USB-A.
    Booted from USB-A with selecting it from BIOS and made the installation of Kali in the other USB (lets say it USB-B).
    All gone ok, installation finished and asked me for GRUB install. I choose to install it in the USB-B (as I don't want to put it in the hdd.

The problem is that the system then, cannot boot to Kali if i choose to boot from usb in BIOS (I removed of course the USB-A).

Any ideas? What I'm doing wrong?
    Can ypu help me make a bootable usb with kali linux on it?