Thread: Raspberry Pi 4 & Kali Linux 64bit airodump-ng will work for 30ish seconds before it stops capturing

Raspberry Pi 4 & Kali Linux 64bit airodump-ng will work for 30ish seconds before it stops capturing

Good Afternoon All,

I have been practicing an Ethical Hacking course from UDEMY. I have been running some -ng commands on my WEP wifi to practice and get a feel for Pen Testing. I have always been extremely interested in Pen Testing and hope to one day be certified! Whenever I run the airodump-ng wlan0mon command I can gather all the information about my router and clients connected to it (exciting)! However, after about 10-30 seconds of running this it stops gathering information and the information that was showing slowly starts to disappear from the terminal. After this I can kill the program from running in the terminal and try to start it again. However, it seems like any -ng commands lag in the terminal until I reboot after the -ng commands stop working.

Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4
    Wifi Adapter: Internal Raspberry Pi 4 Wifi adapter until my external Alfa comes in the mail.
    Output of commands:
    1) sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off (I have somewhat better luck when I turn off the Rasp Pi 4 wifi power management mode)
    2) sudo airmon-ng check kill
    3) sudo airmon-ng start wlan0
    4) sudo airodump-ng wlan0mon
    *airodump-ng gathers data about the router / clients and eventually stops
    5) CTRL-C to kill the program
    6) sudo airodump-ng wlan0mon
    *airodump-ng lags the terminal hard and never displays any router/client information until I fully reboot and rerun the commands. Works again for 10-30 seconds.

I can also deauth for about 10-30 seconds before the program freezes? Resources on the Rasp Pi 4 are very low. CPU - 10% and RAM - 20% (4gb version).
    I also have a fan so I don't think it would be overheating (doesn't feel hot)

Error Message: None
    Links to same problem: None
    Attempts to fix:
    1) I have seen other users say to turn off the Power Management mode on the wifi and while this helps sometimes the -ng commands never last more than 30 seconds.
    2) New/fresh flash
    3) apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Thank you, Karp

same here. sometimes it captures data for a couple of minutes but then stops like you say. Until reboot. Did you find a solution for this?