Thread: How would i go about uninstalling all kali software

How would i go about uninstalling all kali software

So i recently installed Kali Linux on my PC(replacing windows) and i realized pen testing is not for me and i realized Kali is just Ubuntu for pen testing so i was wondering how would i remove all the Kali packages to make it like Ubuntu? I have all the stock Kali tools like all the pen testing stuff i just want to know how to remove it to make it like Ubuntu with a Kali style. Also the reason i cant switch back is cause i lost my USB. I like the style of Kali but i want it to not look like im going to hack into the pentagon.

In the first place, Kali Linux is no longer based on Ubuntu, but on Debian Testing.

If you would remove all the pentesting packages, it will still be a very different OS from Debian, and not suitable for "normal" use. So I do suggest you find a way to install Ubuntu from scratch. All it needs is a USB drive of minimum 4Gb, that will only cost you a little. Also, you can look into the network installer for Ubuntu. Good luck!

we could remove the kali tools repository from the sources.list file, purge the unwanted packages, and then do a bit of housekeeping. -- i wouldn't, in this case a fresh install of ubuntu seems to fit the bill. Kali and Ubuntu are quite different from the demographic point of view, if you want a gui applications manager for easy install/remove of general purpose linux apps and so on Ubuntu is the easy choice.

Three ways, Either one: Find the USB and install ubuntu. two go buy a new usb there like 5$, go through each program and uninstall using sudo apt purge [insert program name here]

Quote Originally Posted by kouhkah View Post
    So i recently installed Kali Linux on my PC(replacing windows) and i realized pen testing is not for me and i realized Kali is just Ubuntu for pen testing so i was wondering how would i remove all the Kali packages to make it like Ubuntu? I have all the stock Kali tools like all the pen testing stuff i just want to know how to remove it to make it like Ubuntu with a Kali style. Also the reason i cant switch back is cause i lost my USB. I like the style of Kali but i want it to not look like im going to hack into the pentagon.
    Great response, huh!

I have just started back here myself. This interested me, though it's 6 months old, and you're probably all good.
    Kali is actually a customized Debian release as i understand.
    I personally would wipe the partition with dd and then freshly install a debian release with a nice x-server gui like Gnome or KDE.
    And then build up the packages you want.

$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/<your device partition> BS=512M , maybe another option or switch; run as root. Have to do this from another kernel like the live Kali usb or any linux/unix OS on usb