Thread: Various WSL2 issues.

Various WSL2 issues.

Hello!
    I've been using Kali and NetHunter for a while. When I heard about WSL and Kali?s support for it, I wanted to try it. However, I can't seem to get kex working. When I run any of "kex" or "kex --win" or "kex -sl -s", I just get a completely black desktop, with a dialog box containing the message: "Unable to contact settings server. Failed to execute child process dbus-launch (no such file or directory)".

I did click allow at the firewall prompt for PulseAudio.exe, as instructed. I believe I have followed all instructions to the letter. All updates are applied via "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get full-upgrade -y". I have verified that I am running WSL2 and not the original WSL.

Anti-virus is excluding all Kali data. It originally had quarantined like 750 files, so I completely uninstalled Kali, and added the exclusion for the entire WSL working folder, then reinstalled Kali. I gleaned the WSL working directory from the Anti-Virus logs.

I have the same issue, please someone can help?

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by aaronouthier View Post
    Hello!
    I've been using Kali and NetHunter for a while. When I heard about WSL and Kali?s support for it, I wanted to try it. However, I can't seem to get kex working. When I run any of "kex" or "kex --win" or "kex -sl -s", I just get a completely black desktop, with a dialog box containing the message: "Unable to contact settings server. Failed to execute child process dbus-launch (no such file or directory)".

I did click allow at the firewall prompt for PulseAudio.exe, as instructed. I believe I have followed all instructions to the letter. All updates are applied via "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get full-upgrade -y". I have verified that I am running WSL2 and not the original WSL.

Anti-virus is excluding all Kali data. It originally had quarantined like 750 files, so I completely uninstalled Kali, and added the exclusion for the entire WSL working folder, then reinstalled Kali. I gleaned the WSL working directory from the Anti-Virus logs.
    Same issue here, I added all exceptions in firewall and get this error.
    Screenshot https://pasteboard.co/JAPOgMY.png

I am having this exact issue at the moment and I am trying to find an answer somewhere.

kex.jpg

I found the answer.

https://www.daniel-pinto.dev/wsl2-ka...-launch-issue/

install dbus-X11 ( sudo apt-get install -y dbus-x11 )

works now!

i have this problem, too.
    run "sudo apt-get install dbus-x11", and it works.

Same problem here solved by "sudo apt-get install dbus-x11" , then cd into your "/home/USERNAME" folder, not the /c/mnt windows mount. kill kex with "kex --stop" and start again with "kex".
    And I had trouble exiting the full-screen error message / black screen - you can open the tigerVNC menu with (fn) + F8 if needed and exit fullscreen there

Hi i had the same problem try: sudo apt-get install dbus-x11 it solved that one for me

Hello. Same issue

just run this cmdsudo apt install dbus-x11

Hy, I have the same problem. Since one year no answer?

I don't even get the dialog box; I just get the black desktop (well, black fullscreen window, apparently; I was able to move it to see the Windows screen behind it) and an invitation to press F8 for the menu.

My best guess is that I botched the firewall approval and kex isn't successfully scraping the Windows screen. Looked at the firewall config but didn't see anything obviously related to the Kali or kex setups. If anyone can point me at what to check, I'd appreciate it.

(Probably unrelated: The how-to page shows the command as "win-kex". Since that doesn't seem to exist, I've been assuming that was a typo and just issuing the command as "kex". Or was there something else I needed to install?)

I banged my head against the same wall ...

'# apt install dbus-x11'

fixed the issue for me

I am facing same thing, but I have reinstalled kali linux WSL, after uninstalling it once. Before uninstalling it was working fine.