OS and System Info
I'm trying to install Kali Linux 2020.4 to a 1TB HDD that had Windows 10 on it. I didn't want to dual boot, I just wanted to replace Windows with Linux. I think I may have corrupted/broken my HDD. I'm using a PC i built a few years ago with an Intel i5-7600k, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 and MSI z270 Gaming M7 Motherboard.

Problem
I went through the graphical install and when it came to partitioning, I chose "*Guided - use entire disk and set up encrypted LVM*". Then on the next page I chose "All files in one partition".
I clicked next and then a message came up with:

error informing the kernel about modifications to partition /dev/sda1 - device or resource busy. This means Linux won't know about any changes you made until you reboot - so you shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before reporting. Error!
I had two choices, "Ignore" or "Cancel". I chose cancel as I had never seen this before and it then took my to another page with a similar message except the "/dev/sda1" part was slightly different. I tried clicking the "Go Back" button and then it brought up something to do with BIOS boot settings and UEFI, and said if I continue I might not be able to boot into anything at all.

I panicked and turned the PC off to see if I could restart the whole process and try again. Now when i boot my PC I can choose Graphical Install but then it comes up with a black screen displaying

mount: mounting /dev/sda on /media failed: Invalid argument
This message gets repeated down the screen and then it lets me select my language, location and kb layout, but then fails at detect and mount installation media.

Other Info
I know Kali is meant for advanced users and I have tinkered with Ubuntu before. The reason for installing Kali is because I'm hoping to go to uni later in the year where I will be using Kali, I just want to play about before I go.

I don't think I've damaged the BIOS as I have a separate SSD with Windows 10 on that still boots up with no problems.

I also have a Live version of Kali on a USB. I have booted that and the HDD im trying to install onto no longer shows up.

I have previously installed Ubuntu onto an old Windows 7 laptop in order to get used to Linux. And then I replaced Ubuntu with Kali on the same laptop. I selected the same partition settings on both of those installations and nothing went wrong.