I downloaded the kali-linux-2020.4-installer-amd64 iso, confirmed the SHA256 hash, and applied it to a USB drive in Windows 10 using rufus 3.13.
I was able to boot from USB.
Notable installation issues:

• Non-free drivers missing: regulatory.db and iwl-debug-yoyo.bin
  • Wireless detected SSID, but did not accept known-good passphrase
  • I tried to verify the installation image, but it fails quickly saying that grub doesn't match the checksum. May have mentioned a CD, even though I'm on a USB drive... I can't remember if that was on my machine or if I read about that from google.

When asked where to install, I selected an SSD that is separate from Windows physically. I've done a few things with partitions to troubleshoot, but I ended up with an efi partition, a / partition, and a swap partition.
I finished the install "successfully" a couple of different ways:

• Default installation steps.
  • Manually going to the grub installation and running it after the linux install is finished.

I checked my BIOS settings and have done a few things there. Where I'm at:

• UEFI boot mode
  • Secure boot off
  • 'kali' is listed in the UEFI boot section of the BIOS and has first priority in the boot order.

I've downloaded a boot-repair iso and run it, but it can only detect the Windows bootloader.

I'm not sure what else to check at this point. I am downloading the live image now to see if I can boot through that and do some more investigation of the bootloader from the linux environment. I don't know if there is a way to check if there is error output during POST. Any suggestions are welcome.