Hello all

Im an old guy trying to get into this realm of pentesting, but ive runned in to some problems.

I bought a fresh new HUAWEI MateBook D 14 laptop to play with and installed the latest Kali Linux as a dual boot with a USB memory stick. Everything "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade".

I followed the recommendations for compatible USB wifi adaptor and bought an ASUS USB-AC68 (Realtek RTL8814AU chipset) which is supposed to support both monitoring mode and packet injection. However, i have had some serious problem getting it to work.

I found the Linux drivers on the ASUS site, extracted it and runned the install.sh file in bash, but it gave me two errors about some "time" related coding mistakes? I also tried installing a github resource for the RTL8814AU driver, but when i follow their directions, i get similar errors... Am i missing some packages, drivers or something?

The errors looks like this:

"error: ?_timer? {aka ?struct timer_list?} has no member named ?data?
273 | ptimer->data = (unsigned long)cntx;
| ^~"

And:

"error: implicit declaration of function ?init_timer?; did you mean ?_init_timer?? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
274 | init_timer(ptimer);
| ^~~~~~~~~~
| _init_timer"

I tried starting this thread with the entire terminal respons, but that only resulted in some "website firewall" error page, so i had to choose to only copy-paste the above text in order to get this thread started.

I tried simply connecting the adaptor, but nothing happens. Even in "Advance network configuration" or "iwconfig" i cant see the device. I am currently using my phones internet connection via tethering, could that be a problem?

I can however see the device when i do a lsusb, "Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0b05:1853 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. 802.11ac NIC" and verified it by disconnecting it and lsusb again, and it is gone from the list...

At any rate, i would really appriciate any help you could give me.

/Old beginner