Thread: RDP session using XRDP only allows 1 user account to connect

RDP session using XRDP only allows 1 user account to connect

• Kali version: 2020.4, x86-64, XFCE4
    • Kali installation: VM, VirtualBox 6.1.10

XRDP will only allow 1 user to connect at a time. I am not referring to concurrent users. It's only me connecting to the box. But only 1 user will be able to be used to authenticate to create an RDP session.
    For example, I have three users: kali, user1, user2
    I will only be able to XRDP successfully with kali. The next reboot, or the next restart of services during an "apt-get upgrade" will now only allow user1 to connect, and kali and user2 will not be able to connect.
    Logs show successful authentication, and do not seem to be getting any obvious errors that I can see. The screen will go black, or stay the cyan/green background until it times out.
    This issue happens on multiple Windows 10 devices using mstsc.exe as the RDP client.

Solutions tried and their result

I believe this has something to do with the desktop environment. I remember reading somewhere that there is a user process that is reserved, but I cannot seem to find the link.
    I also had a similar issue with Kali 2019 (I believe, was at least 1.5-2 years ago) where the built in kali user could not RDP and it was resolved when switching to a different desktop environment.

This is an annoyance as when a reboot or update, I may be restricted to a different user account.
    Any input is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files