Hey all,

I'm pretty green (very green) to this Kali Linux thing and pentesting in general. I am working through a Kali Linux tutorial on Youtube at the moment from 2017 that shows how to use aircrack-ng and reaver. Trouble is, I had to buy a USB wireless adapter so I could use monitor mode, or at least most forums have led me to believe I can't use internal wireless cards to activate monitor mode. I bought two and the one I want to use is the tp-link Archer T4U.

I have downloaded the linux drivers for this to my Kali Linux root user from https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/d...er-t4u/#Driver. The one I chose was "Archer T4U(US)_V3_180511_Linux" beacuse the only other file is in Beta.

This file came with a PDF showing how to put the drivers onto Kali Linux. I have done the first steps--install kernal header files--and have made it to the part of the instructions where I need to compile the file. The instructions tell me:

"2.1.3. Compile Driver SourceUse Terminal to go to the driver directory. Run the following commands to compile the
driver.

Code:
$ make clean
$ make
After compiling, you can see a name of the chip.ko file is stored in the directory of the
driver."

This isn't working for me for some reason, I run the "ls" command and there is no ".ko" in the directory. This is the ouput I get when I run "make clean", "make":

Code:
┌──(root💀kali)-[~/[Parent Location]/[Child File]/rtl88x2BU_WiFi_linux_v5.2.4.1_22719.20170613_COEX20170518-4444_AddLED]└─# make clean
/bin/sh: 1: bc: not found
#make -C /lib/modules/5.9.0-kali1-amd64/build M=/root/[Parent Location]/[Child File]/rtl88x2BU_WiFi_linux_v5.2.4.1_22719.20170613_COEX20170518-4444_AddLED clean
cd hal ; rm -fr */*/*/*.mod.c */*/*/*.mod */*/*/*.o */*/*/.*.cmd */*/*/*.ko
cd hal ; rm -fr */*/*.mod.c */*/*.mod */*/*.o */*/.*.cmd */*/*.ko
cd hal ; rm -fr */*.mod.c */*.mod */*.o */.*.cmd */*.ko
cd hal ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
cd core/efuse ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
cd core ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
cd os_dep/linux ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
cd os_dep ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
cd platform ; rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko
rm -fr Module.symvers ; rm -fr Module.markers ; rm -fr modules.order
rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko *~
rm -fr .tmp_versions

┌──(root💀kali)-[~/[Parent Location]/[Child File]/rtl88x2BU_WiFi_linux_v5.2.4.1_22719.20170613_COEX20170518-4444_AddLED]
└─# make      
/bin/sh: 1: bc: not found
make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/5.9.0-kali1-amd64/build M=/root/[Parent Location]/[Child File]/rtl88x2BU_WiFi_linux_v5.2.4.1_22719.20170613_COEX20170518-4444_AddLED  modules
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/5.9.0-kali1-amd64/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:1794: modules] Error 2
This is what is see when I run the "ls" command after attempting to run the Makefile:

Code:
┌──(root💀kali)-[~/[Parent Location]/[Child File]/rtl88x2BU_WiFi_linux_v5.2.4.1_22719.20170613_COEX20170518-4444_AddLED]└─# ls                                                                                                                      2 ⨯
clean  core  hal  ifcfg-wlan0  include  Kconfig  Makefile  os_dep  platform  rtl8822b.mk  runwpa  wlan0dhcp

What I am speculating is going wrong:

My version of the Kali Linux OS is unable to compile this file.
Why I think this: The driver download location on the tp-link website states its for the "Linux kernel version 2.6.18~4.4." OS.
2. I am not following the instructions correctly.
Why I think this: I am very new to this and I human.
3. The instructions are leaving things unsaid an experienced user might have known.

In anycase, experienced feedback on my prediciment would be appreciated. I am very excited to learn about penetration testing and get some hands-on experience and experienced pen testers tell me this is the way to go. If you explain it like I am 5, I will be grateful as well. I want to get working or understand why it won't.

Also, if you have suggestions of open-source resources to learn from (hands-on preferred) I would love to add them to my list. I am suprisingly hungry to learn about all this.

Cheers!