Thread: GUI/Text Install Issue: No KB or Mouse

GUI/Text Install Issue: No KB or Mouse

Hey all, I'm having the following issue installing Kali to a 128GB Samsung SSD:

When I launch the GUI or text installer, I get to the keymapping screen but I have no mouse and no keyboard. I'm able to use the live-boot feature without any issues. I'm using a Razer DeathAdder 3500 DPI mouse and Rosewill CherryMX mechanical keyboard.

Any ideas as to how I can get Kali installed? Please let me know if I should provide additional information to help troubleshoot.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I connected an old PS/2 keyboard and was able to get that to work. I've successfully installed Kali using text mode. I'm not sure why my Rosewill kb wouldn't work. Still curious as to if anyone else has this same issue. Thanks!
    Last edited by flexxoh; 2013-03-14 at 01:09.

Hi flexxoh
    I think this is a kernel module selection issue. I mean, the kernel used by the installers have no kernel modules capable of managing your input devices.
    This is common in usb stuff that uses "staging" drivers or similar things.
    I will take a look at the kernel config of Kali's installer.
    Im still taking first impressions, but I am a heavy Debian supporter and I will try to do my best to support the guys at Kali project.
    Cheers,
    Alex
    rm -rf /home/alist3r/PMs/asking-for-{support,software,coding,working-for-free}

I too am having this issue on a Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 and mionix naos 5000... It's strange because when booting and shutting down the live medium, I can clearly see init load the exact drivers for my keyboard and mouse. I thought perhaps I had them plugged into usb 3.0 ports but I checked and they are all plugged into 2.0 ports. Any ideas?

I have the exact same issues. I have the Razer naga mouse and a Razer arctosa keyboard.
    I have tried to use other keyboards and none seem to work. I do not have access to a PS/2 keyboard so i cannot try that.

Quote Originally Posted by flexxoh View Post
    Hey all, I'm having the following issue installing Kali to a 128GB Samsung SSD:

When I launch the GUI or text installer, I get to the keymapping screen but I have no mouse and no keyboard. I'm able to use the live-boot feature without any issues. I'm using a Razer DeathAdder 3500 DPI mouse and Rosewill CherryMX mechanical keyboard.

Any ideas as to how I can get Kali installed? Please let me know if I should provide additional information to help troubleshoot.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I connected an old PS/2 keyboard and was able to get that to work. I've successfully installed Kali using text mode. I'm not sure why my Rosewill kb wouldn't work. Still curious as to if anyone else has this same issue. Thanks!
    you have to use "TAB"

using tab doesn't work either. It's almost as if the keyboard locks up.

Had same issue with USB keyboard, fortunately the PS/2 one worked. Not so cool but at least it did. USB works in live environment, only fails to do is after choosing either of the installation methods.

Thanks, alist3r!

Unhappy Could be an initramfs issue

The problem could be with initramfs, there is a report here https://lists.debian.org/debian-kern.../msg00598.html

The kernel is 3.7 included with kali, so this may be the issue.

There is also this guide on how to enable usb keyboards in initramfs, the files needed appear to be missing from kali see http://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard#How_...d_in_initramfs

dell dimension 9200 usb no usb keyboard and mouse worky

PS2 keyboard workaround does the job!
    So there is no usb support this time...

Thanks, flexxoh.

this issue has been reported and it looks like the devs are working on it.

http://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=63

Same Issue here. Dell Studio One with multiple USB keyboards and mice.

Hello. Just tried to install it on my Compaq nx6110 laptop using graphic installer. The laptop keyboard works, the touchpad works, but the USB mouse doesn't.

^ All you can do in the meanwhile without messing around is use PS/2 keyboard+mouse.

initial ramdisk lacks human interface devices support. you can rebuild the initrd and that will do the trick
    rm -rf /home/alist3r/PMs/asking-for-{support,software,coding,working-for-free}

I'm having the same problem with a Dell R610.

Same Issue...mouse and keyb.. freeze (( any help plz?
    intel (R) COre i3CPU 550 @ 3.20 ghz
    6.00 gb ram
    64 bit widows home prenium

I loVE Kali!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alist3r View Post
    initial ramdisk lacks human interface devices support. you can rebuild the initrd and that will do the trick
    I am not familiar with debian live-cd rebuild. Would you mind tell me how to?

Samiux
    While you do not know attack, how can you know about defense? (未知攻,焉知防?)
    Think like a criminal and act as a professional.
    Not only Try Harder but also Try Smarter!

Same problem for me, my mouse Logitech M100 and keyboard SpeedLINK 64-65 dont work on usb 2.0.....and may I dont have a PS/2 keyboard ......sooooo, resolve this problem in time please

Fixed in Kali 1.0.1 - http://www.kali.org/downloads

thank you for the quick response muts...thk you very match.!!!

The issue persists for me in 1.0.1. Tried both text and GUI. Standard issue Dell usb keyboard and mouse.

Probably you need to activate usb legacy mode from your bios.